Man kills himself after he assaults and shoots his girlfriend in Aberdeen

August 07, 2012

Police in Harford County say a man shot himself to death after assaulting and shooting his live-in girlfriend in a home near Aberdeen early Saturday morning.

After the victim and one of her daughters had fled the home where the assault took place, a second daughter remained barricaded in a bedroom and was later freed safely. The assailant killed himself before police found him inside the home, according to the Harford County Sheriff's Office.

Shortly after 1:30 a.m. Saturday, sheriff's deputies responded to a 911 call that a woman had been assaulted and shot by her live-in boyfriend in the 1300 block of Tralee Circle.

An investigation at the scene determined that the victim had fled her residence, along with her adult daughter, 22, to a neighbor's house.

The 48-year-old woman's injuries were treated at the scene by medics from the Abingdon Fire Department before she was transported to the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore, the sheriff's office said in a news release. The woman had already been released from the hospital as of mid-afternoon Saturday, the sheriff's office said in a news release.

The mother told deputies that a second daughter, 25, was still in the home with the assailant. Deputies were able to make contact with the daughter, who had barricaded herself in an upstairs bedroom away from the assailant, according to the sheriff's office news release.

By 4:15 a.m., the 25-year-old had been extracted without incident from a window by members of the Harford County Sheriff's Office Special Response Team.

At about 5 a.m., the Harford County Sheriff's Office Special Response Team made entry into the residence and located Elroy Emilio Cole, 45, in an upstairs bedroom. He was dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, according to the sheriff's office.

Monica Worrell, spokesperson for the sheriff's office, said the 25-year-old was not a hostage and had barricaded herself in the bedroom while Cole was in another part of the house.

"When the deputies went into the home, they found he [Cole] had killed himself," she added.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.