An 81-year-old Rodgers Forge woman was subject to threats last week from a man who claimed she had won $5.6 million — then later threatened to burn down her house, according to a police report.
Police said that between 3 and 3:40 p.m. on Saturday, June 16, a man called the woman's home and told her she had won a $5.6 million prize.
The woman declined and hung up, but the man called back multiple times.
Eventually, the woman's son answered the phone, and the caller changed his story — he demanded that $10,000 be delivered to Dunkirk Road by 4 p.m. or he would kill the woman and her son and burn their house down.
Police spokeswoman Cathy Batton said Monday, June 18, that police are trying to trace the two phone numbers used, though neither are connected to Maryland addresses.
The investigation is ongoing, Batton said.