The Baltimore Sun has an immediate opening on its audience engagement team for a community coordinator. This individual will be part of a group of five in the newsroom tasked with cultivating meaningful connections with users and helping enhance and highlight The Sun's digital offerings.
We're looking for a creative and innovative digital journalist who's focused on growing and engaging our audience on all platforms. She or he is comfortable taking the lead in content creation or pitching in to expand on the work and ideas of others. This person works closely with other journalists in a 140-person newsroom during the daily news cycle, while staying abreast of trends in social media and actively embracing experimentation. She or he loves breaking news, responds to tasks with a sense of urgency and willingly collaborates with colleagues and the community.
Core job responsibilities include:
• Work closely with the morning breaking news team to update the Baltimore Breaking News blog and increase audience; help lead efforts to enhance breaking news content and functionality across platforms.
• Assist with the daily programming of The Sun's main social media accounts, with the shared responsibility to grow and leverage our presence on these platforms.
• Regularly communicate social media/digital best practices to the newsroom, encouraging input and sharing among colleagues. Lead and contribute to training sessions.
• Work to increase and enhance user generated content, including daily moderation of The Sun's talk forums, story-level comments and UGC photo projects.
• Create content as needed, assisting with The Sun's daily coverage, augmenting stories for the web and building digital presentations.
• Work to build and enhance social media implementation in mobile products, and develop new content geared toward mobile users.
• Grow and engage The Sun's local blog network, which includes more than 130 area bloggers.
• Help oversee audience engagement events in the community, including tweetups, reader forums and the Mobbies, our annual celebration of Maryland bloggers.
• Serve as a project manager on long-term digital initiatives, working at times with sales and marketing, developers and reporting teams.
Join our team and make an impact in the Baltimore community.
Position requires early morning and some weekend hours. Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.