Orioles’ wunderkind Dylan Bundy is moving on up.
In a highly anticipated move, the Orioles announced Wednesday that the 19-year-old right-hander has been promoted from Low-A Delmarva to High-A Frederick and will start Saturday against Salem at 6 p.m. at Harry Grove Stadium.
Bundy was originally scheduled for one more five-inning stint at Delmarva so he could continue to work on his off-speed offerings, but instead will go five innings for the Keys.
“He looked like he could benefit from another challenge and still work on things,” Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette said. “He had distinguished himself in the league.”
In his eight games at Delmarva, Bundy, the organization’s first pick (fourth overall) last year and one of baseball’s top prospects, went 1-0 with a 0.00 ERA in 30 innings. He allowed two unearned runs, two walks and five hits while striking out an eye-popping 40 batters.
To limit his overall innings in his first pro year, Bundy will remain in a six-man rotation pitching on five-days’ rest, Duquette said. In conjunction with the Bundy move, the Orioles also promoted 2011 third-round pick Mike Wright from Frederick to Double-A Bowie.
Wright, a right-hander from East Carolina University, was 5-2 with a 2.91 ERA in eight starts for the Keys.
“We had an opening [at Frederick] and decided to promote [Bundy],” Duquette said.
When asked if he has ever had a similar pitching prospect that he could use as a blueprint for handling Bundy, Duquette said, “No, he’s a pretty unique talent.”