Teen fight closes Upton Metro station, sends two to hospital

MTA Police close station for three hours

investigation ongoing

May 16, 2012|By Kevin Rector, The Baltimore Sun

A fight among a group of teenagers and one man Wednesday afternoon at the Upton Metro Station sent two people to the hospital and closed the station for about three hours, according to Maryland Transit Administration Police.

The fight caused chaos in the station, as the teens threw yellow cones, a mop and a trash can at the man as they moved through the station, according to Sharon Allen, an Upton resident who witnessed parts of the fight.

"It was pandemonium, so you really didn't know what was going on," Allen said.

Terry Owens, a MTA Police spokesman, said the fight began between three or four juveniles and the man at about 1 p.m.

Two received non-life-threatening injuries and were transported to Johns Hopkins Hospital, Owens said.

Owens said he believed the injuries were cuts or stab wounds but wasn't sure.

All those involved in the incident, including the two at the hospital, are now in MTA police custody, and the investigation is ongoing, Owens said.

"They're trying to sort out exactly what they've got," Owens said.

According to Allen, she began riding an escalator into the station when she saw a man who looked "really agitated" jump the other escalator moving up, back into the station.

"I started hearing things being thrown around and loud voices," Allen said.

As she continued into the station, she saw the teens throwing things at the man, who jumped back onto the escalator headed out of the station.

Soon after, she saw one of the teens riding the escalator out of the station, bleeding from his head and neck, she said.

Allen saw a single MTA police officer at the station, who seemed overwhelmed, she said.

"She had the walkie-talkie in one hand and her gun in the other, and she was swinging that gun around. It was just chaos," Allen said.

"I don't want it to go unnoticed that something happened there today, because that's what usually happens," Allen said.

Trains began bypassing the Upton station when the altercation began at about 1 p.m. and did not stop there again until shortly after 4 p.m., Owens said.

Baltimore City police confirmed a stabbing in the 1700 block of Pennsylvania Avenue, near the station, at about 1 p.m., but had no other information, according to Det. Nicole Monroe, a police spokeswoman.



Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.