Johns Hopkins' Boland 'completely fine' after return from broken collarbone

Tentativeness over physical health has given way to confidence and comfort level for attackman

May 10, 2012|By Edward Lee

Six games have passed since Chris Boland returned from a broken collarbone suffered in Johns Hopkins’ season-opening victory over Towson on Feb. 17.

During that span, the fifth-year senior attackman has recorded nine goals and nine assists, including two assists in the team’s 10-9 overtime upset of Loyola on April 28 and three goals and two assists in a 13-6 thumping of Army last Saturday.

Boland acknowledged last week that it took some time for him to gain confidence in dodging and landing on the collarbone, which was how the original injury occurred.

“Early on, I was more worried about falling on it rather than getting slashed or anything like that because I broke it by falling on it,” the Jessup native and Boys’ Latin graduate said. “At times, I was kind of hesitant, but in practice, I got more and more comfortable and as of three weeks ago, I’ve been completely fine.”
Boland said he underwent X-rays on the collarbone last week, and the results showed that the bone was fully healed.

“It feels fine,” he said. “I haven’t really had any problems with it for three, four weeks now. Ever since I got back, there’s been a little stiffness, but no soreness or anything like that.”

Blue Jays coach Dave Pietramala said he knew Boland was comfortable with his collarbone when during the week prior to the contest against Loyola, he asked the coaching and training staffs to remove the red, non-contact jersey he was forced to wear during practice.

Pietramala said while Boland was finding confidence in his physical health, his teammates were rediscovering their chemistry with him.

“[W]hen Chris left with his injury, we had to find a way to play without him,” Pietramala said. “When he comes back six or seven weeks later, we had to find a way to play with him. You’re accustomed to playing a certain way and then you have to figure out a way to play without him. And then he’s back and he’s such a talent that you don’t want to not use him. So you’ve got to find a way to integrate him back into the offense, and that takes time as well. So I think it was not only a physical thing, but it’s also a mental thing and a schematic thing. … It takes a little time to get to a place where everybody – coaches and players – are comfortable with that and develop chemistry again.”

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.