Mary "Molly" Jameson (Baltimore Sun )
Mary S. "Molly" Jameson, who established and directed two outreach programs at St. Vincent de Paul Roman Catholic Church in Baltimore, died Sunday of breast cancer at her Lutherville home. She was 81.
The daughter of a building contractor and an educator, Mary Smart was born in Garrett County and raised in Oakland, Friendsville and Grantsville.
After graduating from Oakland High School in 1948, she enrolled at what is now Towson University, where she earned a bachelor's degree in 1952.
In 1952, she married J. Clarence "Jamie" Jameson, a career Army officer, and in 1954, she began teaching at Towson Elementary School.
She left teaching after a year to raise her family, and in 1956, moved to a home on Brook Road in Towson. Since 1972, she and her husband had lived on Chapel Ridge Road in Lutherville.
Mrs. Jameson was a communicant of St. Vincent de Paul, where in 1980 she founded two outreach programs — the Men's Clothing and Toiletries Program and the Neighborhood Food Pantry — that provided the city's homeless with clothing and food.
Mrs. Jameson stepped down from the program in 2000 and was presented the Great Seal of St. Vincent de Paul — one of three since the church was founded in 1840 — for her work with the needy and homeless.
She then established a volunteer-based environmental education program at Sts. James and John Elementary School on Somerset Street in East Baltimore that instructed kindergartners to third-graders about recycling, vegetable gardening and animal life.
A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 11 a.m. Saturday at her church, 120 N. Front St.
In addition to her husband, she is survived by three sons, Mark G. Jameson of Hagerstown, John F. Jameson of Winston-Salem, N.C., and Joe C. Jameson of Shanghai, China; two daughters, Julie M. O'Donnell of Lutherville and Sally S. Tiley of Salt Lake City; a brother, James Smart of Keene, N.H.; and seven grandchildren.