Nearly 700 apply for Balto. Co. early retirement

January 03, 2012|Alison Knezevich

Baltimore County officials have received 670 applications for an early-retirement incentive package – more than three times the number they had sought.

County Executive Kevin Kamenetz proposed the buyouts in September, hoping to cut about 200 positions from the county payroll of 8,000.

Applications for the program were due last week. Some people who applied have already rescinded, county spokeswoman Ellen Kobler said Tuesday.

“That number does include some people who indicated that they really were just curious” about their retirement calculations, Kobler said.

County administrative officer Fred Homan will review applications on a case-by-case basis, and he has final say on who is approved for a buyout.  Only those whose positions can be eliminated without cutting county services will be approved, officials have said.

It’s possible that Homan will approve more than 200 people for the program, Kobler said. Those who retire under the incentive would leave by the end of February.  

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.