No. 6 Marriotts Ridge boys oust No. 5 South Carroll in Class 2A semifinals

November 11, 2011|By Glenn Graham, The Baltimore Sun

Marriotts Ridge’s Nick Applegate didn’t leave any doubt when a second opportunity arrived early in the second half of Friday’s Class 2A state semifinal against South Carroll.

Racing past two defenders to win a ball sent down the left side, the junior forward quickly made his way inside the penalty area before placing a right-footed shot from eight yards into the far-right corner.

The goal came three minutes into the second half, setting the tone as the two-time defending state champion and No. 6 Mustangs came away with a 4-1 win over the No. 5 Cavaliers at Bel Air.

Marriotts Ridge (13-4-1) will take on the winner of Saturday’s Fallston-Patuxent semifinal next week at UMBC. The state finals are set for Nov. 17-19 with specific dates and times not yet set. South Carroll, which was making its third appearance in the state tournament, ends its season with a 15-3 mark.

Midway through the first half, Applegate had a chance to add to the Mustangs’ 1-0 advantage when he got behind the South Carroll defense, only to see goalie Brandon Quinn turn away the chance.

With the game tied at 1 early in the second half, Applegate turned a long outlet pass from defender Sam Willsey into the game-winning goal. Connor Delaney headed home a corner kick sent in by Brad Martinelli to give the Mustangs’ a 3-1 lead seven minutes later. Martinelli closed out the scoring in the final minutes.

In three wins to capture the North region plus Friday’s state semifinal victory, the Mustangs have outscored their opponents by a 19-2 margin.

“We’re just playing with a lot of confidence and working well together,” said Applegate, who now has six goals to go with nine assists. “Every year is different, but we just try to keep it up — keep playing together and keep playing tough.”

Marriotts Ridge took a 1-0 lead in the 9th minute when Jonathan Muth finished off an easy chance in front. Martinelli blasted a shot from 20-plus yards that South Carroll goalie Brandon Quinn got a hand on. But from there, it went off the left post and came back out in front for Muth to tap in.

The Mustangs continued to have the better of the play for most of the first half, but South Carroll senior Ethan McBryde proved opportunistic to tie the game at 1 with 7:32 to play.

McBryde stole an errant pass and quickly got behind the Mustangs’ defense and inside the penalty area before neatly placing a left-footed shot from 15 yards that found the lower right corner. It was McBryde’s team-leading 18th goal to go with four assists this season.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.