60th anniversary of First Baptist Church of Aberdeen

November 04, 2011

The First Baptist Church of Aberdeen will be celebrating its 60th anniversary Sunday.

Services begin with the 11 a.m. worship service will be Rev. Tony Rice, pastor of the church from 1984-87. Lunch will be served in the church Fellowship Hall following the worship service. Those planning to be present for the free lunch are asked to call the church office at 410-272-2845 and leave a message or register online at http://www.aberdeenfirstbaptist.com. The church web page also has pictures from past years.

First Baptist Aberdeen held its first service in 1951 under the leadership of Rev. F.A. Whiteley, who had retired and moved to Aberdeen to live near his daughter, Martha Ramsey. When he found that there was no Baptist church in Aberdeen he began gathering support for a new church. First Baptist Church of Havre de Grace became the sponsoring church and Rev. Dempsey Carwile was brought in to help Rev. Whiteley start the church and to become the first full-time pastor.

The church began in 1951 with 34 charter members and within a year grew to 102 members. In 1952 the congregation purchased its current property and in 1954 built the first unit of its current building, adding the second unit in 1958.

The church eventually grew to an average attendance of more than 200 with Sunday school and mission organizations for all ages. For many years members worked with the international students who attended the Ordnance School at the Aberdeen Proving Ground and have long ministered to the soldiers stationed at APG, the church being conveniently situated near the north (Route 22) gate of APG.

First Baptist Church of Aberdeen is being restarted by Susquehanna Baptist Association, under the leadership of Rev. Dan Sheffield.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.