O'Malley names new Perkins hospital CEO

Leader of Spring Grove to take over amid recent violence

  • Dr. David S. Helsel was named CEO of Clifton T. Perkins Hospital Center.
Dr. David S. Helsel was named CEO of Clifton T. Perkins Hospital… (Algerina Perna, Baltimore…)
November 02, 2011|By Annie Linskey, Meredith Cohn and Andrea K. Walker, The Baltimore Sun

State officials tapped a veteran psychiatric hospital administrator Wednesday to take over leadership of Clifton T. Perkins Hospital Center, where two recent killings have sparked questions about the safety and therapy provided at Maryland's maximum-security mental facility.

Dr. David S. Helsel, 57, who has run Spring Grove Hospital Center in Catonsville since 2004, said he plans to immediately join the examination of "all systems" at Perkins, including those related to staff, patients and resources.

"The most important thing to do is go in with an open mind," he said. "It's hard not to draw any conclusions on what may have gone wrong."

Public officials and those in the mental health field gave a mixed review of Helsel's past performance. But some who blamed turmoil at Perkins on a lack of leadership stability were relieved that the position is now filled.

"They had been trying to recruit someone for some time, and Dr. Helsel has been doing this a long time and will put the focus on security, which we think is the most important thing right now," said Lynn Albizo, a public policy consultant for NAMI Maryland, an advocacy group. "I think it's a good decision given the choices at this point.

"There needs to be someone at the helm because there really has not been a full-time leader for a long time, and that's obviously a problem. There have been major issues."

The chief executive officer's position has turned over three times since the death of patient Susan Sachs, who was killed by another patient in September 2010. Sheila A. Davenport stepped down about four months after that killing, and the interim head, Susan Steinberg, left recently for another state position. Dr. Muhammed Ajanah, clinical director at Perkins, then took over as interim director at the Jessup facility.

After Sach's death, an oversight panel found serious lapses in security, including staffers who were sleeping on the job. Officials said they have since added more security and oversight of staff. But within a recent one-week period there were two more patient deaths, with two patients accused of the killings.

That has brought calls from lawmakers and mental health advocates for reviews, and for improved staff training and oversight. Patients and their relatives have reported their fears, and their concerns that little had changed in the past year to provide protection from other patients — many of whom have extremely violent pasts.

"We're glad [Helsel] is willing to do a really tough job," said Gov. Martin O'Malley.

Helsel said state officials asked him to apply for the job between the two most recent killings. He said he complied out of a sense of loyalty to the system and to leaders he's long worked for. He also said he's equipped to run the facility in the long term and to assess what went wrong more immediately.

Helsel said every security system would need to be reviewed, from staffing levels and training to management oversight and surveillance. On the patient side, the patients' psychiatric evaluations, freedoms and room assignments would need to be reconsidered. Medications and counseling for patients also would be reassessed, he said.

In addition to the deaths, Perkins reported 232 assaults on patients and staff by other patients in 2011, up from 207 in 2010 and 208 in 2009.

For now, Helsel said, the Perkins staff's near lockdown of the facility is appropriate, even if it causes some stress on workers and patients. Once problems are identified, there can be a more balanced approach to security and therapy.

Helsel, who has worked at Spring Grove since 1984, confronted at least one death under his watch. In 2006, staff member Lee McDuffie was sent to the hospital after breaking up a fight among patients and died later that night, although it's unclear if an official cause was determined.

Helsel said that after the death, he brought in outside grief counselors and reassessed staffing levels and training. "I decided we could have trained staff better in how to handle … patients being aggressive, and we added new kinds of practice sessions and the frequency of them."

But workers still complained that they were not equipped to handle the increasing number of patients sent involuntarily by the courts. Many patients had committed serious crimes, though generally not as serious as those committed by patients sent to Perkins.

Union leaders and health advocates said Wednesday they wonder if real change will come at Perkins under Helsel's leadership.

The Maryland Disability Law Center, an advocacy group, gets most of its patient complaints from Perkins and Spring Grove.

"It would appear that it's a bit of shuffling people around as a solution and that would not be in our opinion the best long-term solution for a troubled facility," said Laura Cain, managing attorney of the adult mental health unit for the center.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.