Starting as a plebe, Navy's new safety beats the odds again

Ferguson overcame three-year struggle after nearly dying from rare condition

October 19, 2011|By Don Markus, The Baltimore Sun

Two thoughts were doing a crossing pattern in Keith Ferguson's head as he watched the second oldest of his four sons on television start for the Navy football team Saturday against Rutgers.

One caused him to laugh, the other to cry.

When Chris Ferguson made a crunching tackle near the goal line and forced a fumble, his father thought about the former high school quarterback "who didn't like to get hit." But when the freshman safety returned an interception for a touchdown a few minutes later, it was all too much for the tough oil-rig driver sitting in his home in North Carolina.

The tears of joy started to pour, and they haven't stopped.

Considering the promise the younger Ferguson demonstrated in his debut as a starter — which also included a blocked field-goal attempt late in Navy's 21-20 loss in Piscataway, N.J. — more are likely to come.

The memories of what Ferguson endured for three years beginning when he was a second-grader are something of a blur to him now, which is not that surprising when you consider that Guillain-Barré Syndrome, a rare disorder in which the body's immune system attacks part of the peripheral nervous system, can wipe out a person's memory as well as leave him paralyzed.

But Keith Ferguson remembers it all, starting with the Monday morning in February 2000, when he tried to get his then 8-year-old son out of bed and on his way to school in Angler, N.C.

"He got up and collapsed on the bed. I said, 'Stop playing around,' " Keith Ferguson recalled in a telephone interview Monday. "He got up again and fell back down to the floor and I started getting a little worried. I said, 'Chris, stop playing' and he said, 'Daddy, I'm not playing.' I took him to the hospital and they couldn't figure out what was wrong with him."

He was sent home, but when his condition deteriorated, the youngster was taken to a larger hospital in the area near Fort Bragg, with the same result. He was eventually transported to the University of North Carolina Medical Center in Chapel Hill, but doctors there also were stymied.

"We were there for about eight days and I was watching him die," his father said. "They did a spinal tap, everything under the sun. One of the doctors in Chapel Hill told another doctor in New York and they flew him down. He pulled the sheet back on Chris and said, 'I think I know what it is, but you've got to sign a waiver — like now.' I would have signed my life away to save my son's life. I found out afterward that he only had about four hours to live."

According to Keith Ferguson, doctors explained that, "It starts at the feet and it works its way up from the bottom to the top. If it reaches the respiratory system, you die."

Once doctors began treating the sick youngster with fresh plasma, he began to respond. But the road back was difficult. He spent five months in the hospital in Chapel Hill and had to make repeated trips there for therapy and tests for the better part of a year. He progressed from a wheelchair to a walker to crutches.

"It was like raising a baby all over again," Keith Ferguson said.

"They were running tests on me all the time," the younger Ferguson recalled Monday after practice in Annapolis, where Navy (2-4) was preparing for its game there Saturday against East Carolina (2-4).

But he also has memories of "going to the playroom all the time and watching Carolina football games from the hospital."

A straight-A student, "he couldn't tell the difference between a green apple and a green pear," his father said. One of his teachers came every day after school to the family's home to tutor Ferguson.

Doctors told Keith Ferguson and his wife, Savita, a kindergarten teacher, that it would be years before their son would be able to walk on his own, as well as read and write. The medical experts also told Ferguson's father that his son's dream of following his hero, Michael Jordan, to the NBA were over.

Keith Ferguson didn't listen. An Army veteran, he said he raised all his sons with "foot to tail action" — in other words, tough love. It even continued during his son's recovery.

"I put him in a football uniform the same year, even though he was so weak," the older Ferguson recalled. "He had gone from a size 12 to a size 6 in eight or nine days. He was like skin on bones. He looked like one of those malnourished kids with the potbellies and the long, skinny arms. I knew he had a long road ahead. He loved basketball so much that I would let him do it just for exercise. He was frustrated because I was pushing him to get him back to being himself. But he was determined to get back to being normal."

Ferguson started playing sports again by the end of fifth grade and joined a football team "because my friends did it." Though he showed promise as a quarterback, West Johnston assistant coach Kwame Dixon, a former defensive back at the University of Pittsburgh, told the ninth-grader who had made varsity that he had more potential on the college level in the secondary.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.