Aberdeen Crip gets 12 years in armed carjacking

October 18, 2011

An admitted Crips gang member from the Aberdeen area was sentenced to 12 years in federal prison Thursday for his role in a 2007 armed carjacking in Baltimore City.

U.S. District Judge J. Frederick Motz sentenced Tyrone Moore, 21, to 147 months in prison followed by five years of supervised release for conspiracy, carjacking and using a firearm during a crime of violence, according to the Maryland U.S. Attorney's Office.

Moore was 17 when the carjacking occurred. Two years earlier, at age 15, Moore was shot in the chest and nearly killed during what police in Harford County said was a turf war in Aberdeen's low-income Washington Park housing complex between the rival Crips and Bloods gangs.

Moore was also accused of solicitation to murder while he was an inmate at the Harford County Detention Center awaiting trial on a weapons charge in 2008, about five months after the carjacking in Baltimore occurred, according to court records. He allegedly tried to hire undercover officers to kill an unidentified officer.

The solicitation charges were never prosecuted, according to Maryland's online court database. The weapons charges also were not prosecuted, according to court records.

On March 25, 2011, according to court records, Moore pleaded guilty in Harford County Circuit Court to another charge from 2007 of possession and manufacturing and distributing a narcotic. He was sentenced to five years in prison beginning Jan. 7, 2008.

According to evidence presented during Moore's eight-day trial in Baltimore Federal District Court on the carjacking case, on Nov. 25, 2007, Moore, accompanied by two associates, pointed a gun at the owner of a Jeep Grand Cherokee, who had parked his vehicle near the intersection of East 39th Street and Hadley Square West, in north Baltimore's Guilford neighborhood.

The victim had been talking with another individual as they stood near his vehicle, when Moore demanded that the victim give him the keys to the Jeep. After Moore repeated his demand, the victim tossed his keys to Moore.

Moore took the keys and drove away in the Jeep, according to trial evidence. Deputies from the Harford County Sheriff's Office subsequently recovered the Jeep on Dec. 2, 2007, in the Perrywood Gardens Apartments complex south of Aberdeen.

According to the trial evidence, items of clothing with Moore's DNA were found in the Jeep, and five of his fingerprints were found on one of the passenger doors. The victim identified Moore as the carjacker from a photo array.

According to court documents, Moore had been identified as a member of the Crips gang, and Moore admitted that he was a gang member during Thursday's federal sentencing hearing.

Moore was already in jail awaiting trial in unrelated cases in Harford County when he was charged by Baltimore City Police in connection with the carjacking, according to court records.

Marci Murphy, spokesperson for the U.S. Attorney's Office, said Friday she could not comment on the specifics of the Moore case or why it ended up in the federal criminal justice system. In general, she said, local prosecutors may request that the federal prosecutors get involve because of different rules of evidence in federal courts or the likelihood that a suspect, if convicted, will receive a longer prison sentence, if convicted in a federal court.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.