Top Orioles pick Hobgood done in 2nd inning, as Aberdeen loses third straight Saturday

Wildness, teammates' fielding miscues doom pitcher's latest start in Aberdeen's rain-shortened defeat

August 14, 2011|BY DEWEY FOX

Five days after his finest start since joining the IronBirds three weeks ago, Orioles' first-round pick Matt Hobgood could not make it out of the second inning on Saturday night in his team's rain shortened, 8–2 loss to the Williamsport Crosscutters at Ripken Stadium in Aberdeen.

With the defeat, the IronBirds fell to 19-36 on the season and remain at the bottom of the New York-Penn League's McNamara Division, trailing third-place Hudson Valley by eight games.

The start of Saturday's match-up was delayed for 90 minutes by heavy rains, and the game was halted with Aberdeen at the plate in the bottom of the eighth when foul weather returned.

Hobgood, who retired the first eight hitters he faced in a no decision on Monday, surrendered back-to-back singles to start the game, walked the third Crosscutter he faced, then plunked the next man up in the middle of his back, pushing the visitors' first run across the plate.

Two more runs scored during the next at-bat when Aberdeen second baseman Austin Knight's double-play throw went wide of Wynston Sawyer at first.

Hobgood walked the next hitter and followed with his first and only strikeout of the game, but then he surrendered another walk to load the bases. Before getting the final out of the frame on a fly ball to left, the Aberdeen starter uncorked a wild pitch that allowed another Williamsport runner to cross the plate, making the score 4-0.

Hobgood started the second inning by walking the leadoff man, who swiped second base, moved to third on a groundout, and scored on shortstop Mychal Givens' fielding error. The inning's fourth hitter was drilled in the back by Hobgood, who was then removed from the game in favor of reliever Alex Schmarzo, who allowed that runner to score, making it 6-0..

Through 1-1/3 innings of work, Hobgood walked four, struck out one, and was charged with four earned runs on two hits.

Aberdeen got on the board in the fifth, rallying for a pair of tallies.

Martin Serrata came up third and sparked the outburst with a two-out single to left, which was followed by Givens' opposite field base. Sawyer walked to load the bases, and up next was Connor Narron, who ripped a single up the third-base line that allowed Serrata and Givens to motor across the plate.

Williamsport answered the IronBirds' rally in their next at-bat, scoring once during the sixth, then put up the game's final run in the top of the seventh.

Schmarzo stayed on the mound for 2-2/3 innings, holding the Crosscutters to two hits, striking out a pair and issuing no walks.

Matt Drummond posted a two-inning relief stint, allowing one earned run on two hits, striking out one and walking one. Enrico Jimenez was Aberdeen's final pitcher of the evening, and he struck out one, walked two, and surrendered one run on three hits in an inning of work.

Narron was Aberdeen's hottest bat by a long shot, picking up three of the IronBirds' five hits and driving in both of his team's runs. Serrata and Givens both went 1-for-4 in the loss, while Sawyer drew Aberdeen's only walk.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.