Gary Nixon rode his way into Motorcycle Hall of Fame

Oklahoma native was a drag racing champion in his teens when he switched to motorcycles and later owned a store in Hunt Valley

August 12, 2011|By Frederick N. Rasmussen, The Baltimore Sun

Gary Nixon, an Andarko, Okla., native, was on his way to becoming a respectable baseball player when he was conked in the head by a teammate's swinging bat, and decided he better find a safer sport. He turned to drag racing and was a champion racer by age 15.

He had gotten his license a year earlier.

Nixon then abandoned that sport and began racing motorcycles professionally, and by 1958, was Oklahoma State Scrambles Champion.

He was 18.

Sharp-eyed readers like Jim Holechek, a retired Baltimore public relations executive and author who was a longtime friend of Nixon's and a motorcycle riding buddy, saw an item in last weekend's Baltimore Sun sports section reporting the Motorcycle Hall of Famer's death.

Nixon, 70, who lived in Phoenix, Baltimore County, died Aug. 5 at St. Joseph Medical Center, from complications of a heart attack suffered earlier that week.

"Gary was a fabulous guy who loved to take chances," Holechek said in a telephone interview the other day.

He began taking them early in his life drag racing on the back roads of his Oklahoma town. By the time his motorcycle racing career peaked in the 1960s and 1970s, he had broken various bones in 18 crashes.

"I guess it's like a woman having a baby," he explained to Sandy McKee, who covered auto racing for The Evening Sun, in a 1978 story. "I'm told that it is a horribly painful thing, yet women keep having babies. Your body forgets how the pain was."

In fact, as a result of his numerous racing injuries, Nixon's left leg was 3/8ths of an inch shorter than his right.

"When Nixon rolls up his shirt sleeves his arms look like road-maps, scars tracing a history of his career in motorcycle racing," wrote McKee.

"He is the oldest in the United States and, perhaps, Cockeysville's Gary Nixon is one of the most daring motorcycle racers in the world. He is certainly one of the most battered."

In 1963, Nixon won his first national American Motorcycle Association championship at Recreation Park in Windber, Pa., and three weeks later, repeated the feat at Santa Fe Park in Hinsdale, Ill.

Nixon ended the 1963 season ranked sixth in the Grand National Series, when he broke into the top 10 for the first time.

As the 1960s rolled on, so did Nixon's victories. In 1967, he won the 100-mile race aboard a Triumph at Daytona Beach, Fla., and the next day, took the 200-miler with an average speed of 98.227 mph.

He was the AMA's Grand National champion that year, and did the same in 1968.

During a 1969 race in Santa Rosa, Calif., he was injured after his motorcycle experienced a mechanical problem and hit the fence, which left him with a compact fracture of his left femur.

He won the 1973 United States Road Race Championship and the next year was severely injured in Japan during test laps when his engine suddenly seized at 120 mph, and his bike was hit by another rider, throwing Nixon 12 feet into the air and into a tree.

He had broken bones in both arms, an ankle and several ribs and after being flown from Japan to Children's Hospital in Baltimore, began a year's absence away from competition while recuperating.

Nixon, who also raced internationally, returned to racing when he became the first American to win a Motorcycle Grand Prix world title. The Formula 750 title was later denied because of a scoring error and international politics.

"To those who follow the sport, Nixon is the American dream, the champion," said a 1968 profile in the old Sunday Sun Magazine. "And that's what earned him the right to blur around tracks this year with No. 1 displayed on anything he rides."

By 1979, Nixon had retired from professional racing, to focus on his motorcycle tool business and later Hunt Valley Hobbies.

During his more than two-decade career as a professional racer, Nixon earned 19 AMA National victories and completed 150 Grand National races, riding aboard Triumphs, Kawasakis, Suzukis and Yamahas.

It is a little known fact that Nixon got a young Evel Knievel interested in motorcycles and helped him set up his first ramps and jumps during the 1960s.

"Gary had the ego of a racer, and you need an ego to be a racer," said Robert Glick, owner of the Village Cafe in Cross Keys and an old friend. "He was known to go to the starting gate before the start of a race and say, 'Which one of you is coming in second?'"

Glick described his friend's racing style as "unorthodox."

"He rode injured and for his size was a strong man. He did one arm pushups for strength," he said. "He said 'if you want to go faster you have to brake harder than anyone else when going into curves.' And in order to keep the bike from wobbling, he had to have strong arms."

A friend for 50 years, Holechek used to enjoy motocrossing with Nixon and two others.

"Once when the four of us were riding in the woods near Cockeysville, Gary said he always wanted to ride his bike over a cliff. He picked out the cliff and asked the three of us to hold his motorcycle over the edge," Holechek recalled.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.