Submit notices via email:
firstname.lastname@example.org; fax: 410-332-6336; or mail: Baltimore Messenger, 501 N. Calvert St., Third Floor, Baltimore, MD 21278. Include sponsor or host, date, time, address of event, contact name and phone number. Deadline is noon the Thursday before publication.
Arts and Museums
The Walters Art Museum — 600 N. Charles St. 410-547-9000, http://www.thewalters.org.
• The Art of the Writing Instrument from Paris to Persia, through Sept. 25.
• Setting Sail: Drawings of the Sea from the Walters' Collection featuring drawings, paintings, and prints of ships, sailors and the sea from the permanent collection of the Walters. Runs through Sept. 11. Free.
• Walk-In Gallery Tours. On Sundays and selected Saturdays, the Walters offers docent-led tours of a different part of the collection. No reservations are required. Highlights of the Walters Art Museum is July 17, 1 p.m.
Baltimore Clayworks — 5707 Smith Ave., hosts Contours of Belonging: Aisha Harrison. Runs through Aug. 6. Free. 410-578-1919. http://www.baltimoreclayworks.org.
Reginald F. Lewis Museum of Maryland African American History & Culture — 830 E. Pratt St.
• Material Girls: Contemporary Black Women Artists Special Exhibition on view until Oct.16.
• Elliot Levine and Urban Groove, July 21, 5-8 p.m. Includes free appetizers and cash bar. $5. Members are free.
• Art Workshop: Mastering Beads with Joyce Scott, July 23, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Call to register 443-263-1829. $20.
• Lines Connect Book Club: "Money Can't Buy Love" by Connie Briscoe, author appearance and book signing, July 28, 6:30 p.m. $5. 443-263-1827.
The Baltimore Museum of Art — 10 Art Museum Drive, presents
• Drop-In Art Activities, Family Art Center, every Saturday and Sunday, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. 443-573-1870 or artbma.org. General admission is free.
• Free Family Sundays, Workshops: 2–5 p.m. Tours: 2–2:45 p.m. the last Sunday of the month.
The Great Prostate Cancer Challenge — 5k/1 Mile Fun Walk to benefit Zero (The Project to End Prostate Cancer), Sept. 25, 8:30 a.m., Towson University, Johnny Unitas Stadium. $30 in advance, $35 race day. http://www.gpccbaltimore.com.
Eat-A-Peach Challenge Bike Ride — sponsored by the Brain Injury Association of Maryland, Aug. 13. Routes start and end at the Peach Festival, Carroll County Agricultural Center, Westminster, and wind their way through Carroll and Frederick counties. http://www.charmcityrun.com, 410-448-2924, email@example.com or http://www.biamd.org to download a registration brochure.
Walk for Lupus Now — to benefit the chapter's many free services for people with lupus, Druid Hill Park, 900 Druid Park Lake Drive, Sept. 24, 3-5 p.m. 888-349-1167 or firstname.lastname@example.org. To register, http://tinyurl.com/BaltLupusWalk2011.
Second Saturdays in Station North — Eleven venues, all within four blocks of Charles Street and North Avenue, will feature free events throughout the day including art exhibitions, live music performances, a theatrical performance, a theater class, an improv performance, open mic and more. 410-962-7075, email@example.com or http://www.stationnorth.org.
Summer Sounds at the Square — Weekly outdoor concert series featuring live music by local bands, Belvedere Square, Corner of York Road and Belvedere Avenue, Fridays, 6-9 p.m., through Sept. 16. Free.
• July 22: Sons of Pirates, rock n roll.
Farmers Market — Baltimore Museum of Industry, 1415 Key Highway, Saturdays through Oct. 8, 9 a.m.–1 p.m. 410-727-4808 or: http://www.thebmi.org.
Mini Barn Sale — Broadmead, 13801 York Road, Cockeysville, to support community activites and donations of charitable gifts, July 15, 8:30 a.m.-1 p.m. Includes clothing, linens, furniture, shoes, bags, appliances and kitchenware. Margaret Proctor, 443-578-8238.
Concerts and Theater
Minas — 815 W. 36th St., Hampden. 410-732-4258 or http://www.minasgalleryandboutique.com.
• Minas Konsolas Interactions Show runs through Aug. 28.
• Town Square Open Mike, July 17 and 19, 4 p.m. Free. firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Belly Dancing, July 24, 5 p.m. Meridian Belly Dance. $5. http://www.meridiandance.com/.
Creative Alliance at the Patterson — 3134 Eastern Ave. 410-276-1651 or http://www.creativealliance.org.
• Steve Hefter and St. Even with Fancy Face and Leonard Mynx, July 29, 8 p.m. $12, $7 members and students.
• Cyro Baptista and Beat The Donkey with Telesma, July 30, 8 p.m. $20, $15 members.
• Caleb Stine hosts Woody Guthrie Dreams, benefit and Woody birthday party, July 16, 8 p.m. Proceeds support the production. $20, $15 members.
• Living Proof, Directors Kalima Young and Erin Davies in person, July 22, 6 p.m. $10, $5 members, students.
• Late Night with Mickey Mahoney and Catherine Pancake, July 22, 9 p.m. $10, $5 members, students.