Sykesville man wanted for taking child surrenders to deputies

Man had released boy, 8, unharmed, in Mount Airy

July 11, 2011|By Staff reports

The Carroll County Sheriff's Office said Monday that a Sykesville man — who had been wanted for allegedly abducting his girlfriend's son before releasing him unharmed — had turned himself in.

Michael Andrew Terrell, 31, of Sykesville surrendered Sunday afternoon to sheriff's deputies, who served him with charges for second-degree assault, child abduction and disturbing the peace.

Terrell's arrest ended a weeklong investigation into his whereabouts following an altercation between Terrell and his live-in girlfriend.

On Monday, July 4, at 5:20 p.m., deputies responded to calls reporting a domestic assault in the front yard of a home in the 1300 block of Buckhorn Road in Sykesville.

Deputies said Terrell had reportedly assaulted his girlfriend and their 2-year-old daughter in an effort to gain custody of the child, but was unsuccessful.

The Sheriff's Office said Terrell returned to the home and removed her 8-year-old son before fleeing the area. About 45 minutes later, Terrell released the boy unharmed to a family friend inMount Airy.

Sheriff's deputies were notified, and boy was returned to his mother without further incident.

After the incident, the Sheriff's Office issued a media release seeking the public's help in finding Terrell.

Following his arrest on Sunday, Terrell was taken before a District Court Commissioner and is being held without bail at the Carroll County Detention Center pending trial.

The Sheriff's Office investigation continues. Anyone with information may contact Sergeant Brad Brown of the Carroll County Sheriff's Office Criminal Investigations Division at 410-386-2900, or the Anonymous TIPS Hotline at 1-888-399-TIPP.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.