Bayhawks hold off winless Rattlers, 13-11

July 02, 2011|By Rich Scherr, Special to The Baltimore Sun

Chesapeake Bayhawks entered Saturday's Major League Lacrosse game in dire need of a confidence boost.

They found just what they were looking for in Rochester.

Facing a winless foe that was playing for the first time since replacing its head coach, the Bayhawks jumped to an early four-goal lead, then held on in the second half for a 13-11 win before an announced 8,410 at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium.

Brian Phipps, a rookie out of Maryland who tallied a career-high 21 saves, said the effort came after a team meeting about commitment following last weekend's lopsided loss to Boston.

"After our loss last week, [head] coach [Brendan] Kelly, [assistant] coach [Dave] Cottle and [assistant] coach [John} Lamon … we had a team meeting. It was like, `We're all in from now on out. We're fully committed,'" Phipps said.

Players went so far as to have t-shirts printed with the words "All in" emblazoned on the back.

The results were immediate, with Chesapeake jumping out to a 5-1 lead in the first 10 minutes, and beating Rochester in ground balls, 35-26, for the game.

The victory ended a two-game losing streak for the Bayhawks (4-3), who crept pulled even with Hamilton for third place with five games remaining. The top four finishers qualify for the postseason.

Bayhawks midfielder Dan Hardy notched his first hat trick of the season, while attackman Ben Rubeor and midfielder Steven Brooks added two goals each — the latter scoring the game's lone two-pointer.

Rochester, which on Tuesday replaced coach BJ O'Hara with former player Tim Soudan, fell to 0-7. The Rattlers have lost their past five games by a combined nine goals.

Ned Crotty, Rochester's leading scorer who had three goals in the teams' previous meeting, was held scoreless on five shots.

With their lead pared to two early in the second quarter, the Bayhawks reeled off consecutive goals by Danny Glading, Brooks and Rubeor in a span of 1 minute, 53 seconds to regain command. Rubeor then added his second score with 3.7 seconds left in the half — Chesapeake's first goal in 11:35 — to extend the lead to 9-5.

"I thought we had a great team effort tonight," Kelly said. "We came out and played good offense, then we had to keep it up. We've been able to do that every game, it seems like, but then it's faded down the stretch. Tonight it didn't fade. We kept scoring, we kept playing."

The Bayhawks later led by as much as five, but could never put away the Rattlers, who got three goals each from attackman Jordan McBride and midfielder Jovan Miller.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.