With the Fourth of July around the corner — and packages of colorful sparklers starting to appear in stores and roadside tents — it's time to think about fireworks safety. Here are a few tips that people should remember:
• Fireworks should only be used outdoors.
• Parents should not permit young children to handle or use fireworks including sparklers.
• Always wear safety glasses when using any fireworks.
• Drop spent sparkler sticks into a bucket of water.
• Keep a garden hose handy.
• Soak used fireworks with water before disposing of them in an outdoor trash can.
Following common sense safety rules will make your holiday fireworks celebration not only exciting but safe as well.
Jack Leonard, vice president, National Council on Fireworks Safety