Two high school principals who opened their respective schools are switching places for the 2011-2012 school year as a part of faculty promotions and transfers announced Thursday, June 9, at the Howard County Board of Education meeting.
Marriotts Ridge principal Pat Saunderson, who opened the Marriottsville school in 2005, will move to Reservoir High School and Reservoir principal Adrianne Kaufman, who opened the Fulton school in 2002, moves to Marriotts Ridge.
Kaufmann said the transfer was bittersweet, but that she always has viewed change as healthy.
"The job of principal is a great job, and a challenging job," she said. "That doesn't change, where you are or what you do. I know I leave the school in great shape, and (Saunderson) will be a great addition to the community."
In an email to parents at Marriotts Ridge, Saunderson thanked the community for "six wonderful years" at the school as he prepared for his "new adventure."
"You have supported us in so many ways as we implemented new initiatives and programs, working with us hand-in-hand to build the great school that Marriotts Ridge is today," he wrote.
The only other high school to get a new principal is Wilde Lake. Current principal Restia Whitaker will be the principal at Harper's Choice Middle School. James LeMon will move from assistant principal at Hammond High School to principal at Wilde Lake High.
Deputy Superintendent Mamie Perkins presented a list of faculty promotions and 23 transfers to the Board of Education, which approved the recommendations, effective July 1.
Here is a list of transfers and promotions:
Secondary school principal transfers
• Susan Brown: Harper's Choice to Laurel Woods ES
• Adrianne Kaufman: Reservoir to Marriotts Ridge
• Pat Saunderson: Marriotts Ridge to Reservoir
• Restia Whitaker: Wilde Lake HS to Harper's Choice
Secondary school assistant principal transfers
• Judith Hendricks: Mt. Hebron to Hammond HS
• Gregory Lertora: Murray Hill to Clarksville
• Cara Moulds: Marriotts Ridge to teacher, Marriotts Ridge
• Patricia Murray: Harper's Choice to Howard
• Camerson Rahnama: Glenelg to Marriotts Ridge
• Nelda Sims: Wilde Lake HS to Reservoir
• David Strothers: Reservoir to Glenelg
Secondary school appointments/promotions
• James LeMon: Hammond HS assistant principal to Wilde Lake HS principal
• Tiffany Carmean: Wilde Lake MS teacher to Harper's Choice assistant principal
• Adam Downs: Reservoir teacher to Reservoir assistant principal
• Andrea Harmon: Elkridge Landing leadership intern to Murray Hill assistant principal
• Yvonne Jackson: Oakland Mills HS leadership intern to Wilde Lake HS assistant principal
• Tracey Ryan: Cradlerock Upper School leadership intern to Lake Elkhorn MS assistant principal
Elementary school principal transfers
• Pamela Akers: Phelps Luck to Longfellow
• Margaret Dumler: Laurel Woods to Triadelphia Ridge
• Sean Martin: Bryant Woods to Phelps Luck
• Chanel Morris: Triadelphia Ridge to Bryant Woods
Elementary school assistant principal transfers
• Michael Caldwell: Talbott Springs to Dayton Oaks
• Lisa Ciarapica: Swansfield to Veterans
• Carol Debord: Dayton Oaks to Forest Ridge
• Amy Green: Pointers Run to Lisbon
• Patricia Lannon: West Friendship to Stevens Forest
• Sharon Lewandowski: Stevens Forest to Bollman Bridge
• Mary Nimmick: Veterans to Pointers Ridge
• Ann Steger: Forest Ridge to West Friendship
Elementary school appointments/promotions
• Tricia McCarthy: Bollman Bridge assistant principal to Deep Run principal
• Lenore Schiff: Bellows Spring school psychologist to Swansfield assistant principal
• Jennifer Anderson: Talbott Springs Instructional Team Leader to Talbott Springs assistant principal