Brookhart lifts Hebron girls past Severna Park in OT, 8-7, for District V title

Goal in 1st extra session is difference for Vikings, who have 12 straight wins as they head into 3A-2A South tournament as No. 1 seed

  • Mount Hebron's Brittany Arens, right, knocks the ball from the stick of Severna Park's Ryan Bathras, left, as Hebron's Tiana Wallpher looks for the loose ball during first-half action.
Mount Hebron's Brittany Arens, right, knocks the ball… (Gene Sweeney Jr. / Baltimore…)
May 10, 2011|By Todd Karpovich, Special to The Baltimore Sun

It seemed only fitting that Tuesday's District V girls lacrosse championship between No. 15 Severna Park and No. 13 Mount Hebron needed overtime.

The two storied programs have combined for 24 state championships, and each looks primed to make another deep run in this year's playoffs. Tuesday's game was finally decided on a goal by Sam Brookhart with 1:35 left in the first overtime period that gave Mount Hebron an 8-7 victory at Reservoir. It was the Vikings 12th consecutive win.

"I knew we had to do something," said Brookhart, who had two goals on the night. "In my head, I just said, 'I'm going to score a goal.' I knew I could do it. Our team is so close and we work so hard, we knew we could push it out of us."

The game was a good test for each team with the regional tournament starting later this week. Severna Park (11-4) is the No. 2 seed in the Class 4A-3A East region and Mount Hebron (14-1) is the top seed in Class 3A-2A South.

Rachel Mia led Severna Park with three goals, while Elizabeth Barranco had two goals and an assist. Jamie Schwartz and Kara O'Rourke each had two goals for Mount Hebron.

Mount Hebron trailed by three early in the game, but goals by O'Rourke and Taylor Babin in the final 2:16 pulled the Vikings to within 4-3 at the half. Mount Hebron's Madison Fisher (11 saves) came up with several big stops from point-blank range to keep her team in the game.

"I just kind of put my stick out there and I got the best of luck," Fisher said. "It was really nerve-racking, but we brought it back in the end and it was good. This is one of our biggest goals of the season, and we worked so hard to get to it."

Barranco and O'Rourke traded goals in the early part of the second half before Schwartz tied the game at 5 with 14:05 left in the game. Ally Adams then gave the Falcons a 6-5 lead with 7:35 remaining, but Brookhart tied the game again two minutes later.

Schwartz gave the Falcons a 7-6 lead before Mia forced another tie with 35.2 seconds remaining. In the first period of overtime, Brookhart gave Mount Hebron the 8-7 lead, and it proved to be enough.

"We didn't come out as strong, but we knew that they were fast and if they got the ball in transition, they could be really dangerous," said Mount Hebron's first-year coach Trish Sullivan. "They hammered us early, but we were able to stay consistent and kept fighting. This was a good test to have, especially at this point before we continue on with the playoffs."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.