Caroline G. Ober, first athletic director at St. Paul's School for Girls and a former Roland Park resident, died April 5 of complications from a stroke at the Blakehurst retirement community in Towson. She was 90.
The daughter of the manager of the Gary Manufacturing Co., which produced cotton duck cloth, and a homemaker, Caroline Fischer Gary was born in Baltimore and raised in Roland Park.
Mrs. Ober attended Bryn Mawr School and graduated in 1939 from Garrison Forest School. She also made her debut that year at the Bachelors Cotillon.
From 1939 to 1942, she worked for the Red Cross Motor Corps in Baltimore.
She was married in 1942 to Richard F. Ober Sr., who was a lawyer for Fidelity & Deposit Co. in downtown Baltimore.
From 1960 to 1969, Mrs. Ober served as the first director of athletics at St. Paul's School for Girls in Brooklandville.
After leaving in 1969, Mrs. Ober was subsequently assistant during the 1970s to the headmistress at Roland Park Country School, where she also coached field hockey and lacrosse.
She ended her educational career in the late 1970s as assistant to the headmistress at Bryn Mawr School.
Throughout most of her life, Mrs. Ober was an avid tennis player. She was a member of the L'Hirondelle Club in Ruxton.
Before its sale in 1960, Mrs. Ober enjoyed vacationing at a family lodge in Algonquin Park, Ontario, and in recent years at a cottage she and her husband owned in Oxford, Talbot County.
Mrs. Ober was a member of the Society of Colonial Dames, Chapter 1.
She was a communicant of the Episcopal Church of the Redeemer, 5603 N. Charles St., where a memorial service will be held at 3 p.m. Monday.
In addition to her husband, Mrs. Ober is survived by three sons, Douglas G. Ober of Towson, Charles M. Ober of Baltimore and Richard F. Ober Jr. of Princeton, N.J.; eight grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.