No. 5 Gilman edges No. 2 McDonogh in overtime, 11-10

  • Gilman's Peter Senft jumps on the back of goalie Palmer Murray in celebration of the Greyhounds' overtime win.
Gilman's Peter Senft jumps on the back of goalie Palmer… (Baltimore Sun photo by Gene…)
April 15, 2011|By Todd Karpovich, Special to The Baltimore Sun

Fifth-ranked Gilman and No. 2 McDonogh added another thrilling chapter to their storied lacrosse rivalry in Friday's Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A conference matchup.

McDonogh never led but scored three goals in the final four minutes and 18 seconds to force overtime. After the Eagles won the opening faceoff, Gilman's defense clamped down, forced a turnover and quickly got down field.

Junior Jake Matthai then dodged his defender and fired a shot into the middle of the goal to give the host Greyhounds an 11-10 victory with 1:14 remaining in the extra period.

Gilman improved to 5-4 and remains in second place in the MIAA's Red Division at 3-3 behind third-ranked St. Mary's. The Eagles fell to 9-2 and are in second place in the Black Division at 5-1 behind top-ranked Calvert Hall.

"The opening was there and I let it go and luckily it went in," Matthai said. "I don't think we were nervous. We were getting anxious but we kept our cool and executed in the OT and that's what happened. We were gunning for them. That's our biggest rival, McDonogh."

Sophomore Riley DeSmit led Gilman with three goals and Conor Doyle finished with four assists. Connor Morgan led the Eagles with four goals and Keegan Michel added three goals and three assists.

Peter Senft's second goal of the game gave the Greyhounds a 10-7 lead with 5:48 remaining in the game. The Eagles then responded with consecutive goals by Michel, Brinton Valis and Morgan. Gilman nearly retook the lead with 18 seconds remaining, but goalie Ben Falcone (10 saves) came up with a big stop from point-blank range.

"For us seniors, this could have been the last time we ever played McDonogh," said Doyle, who will play at Notre Dame. "We really tried to dig deep down to find a way to win. There are a lot of talented teams in this league, especially this year."

Gilman opened a three-goal lead at the end of the first quarter and led 6-4 at the half. After Michel cut the margin to one just seven seconds into the third quarter, Gilman responded with three consecutive goals. The Eagles, however, chipped away and tied the game by dominating possession in the final five minutes.

"I gotta give credit to Gilman; they played really hard in this rivalry, which was what we expected," McDonogh coach Andy Hilgartner said. "We had two chances in overtime after winning that opening faceoff. Gilman is a great team and we'll get back to work."

Gilman coach Brooks Matthews said the tight game will bode well for his team in the second half of the season.

"You have to be playing your best lacrosse at the end," Matthews said. "That's what we talk about every day. McDonogh's a great team. It was not a surprise they were able to put a couple goals in."

No. 5 Gilman 11, No. 2 McDonogh 10, OT

Goals: M- Morgan 4, Michel 3, Glaser, Rexford, Valis; G- DeSmit 3, Senft 2, R. Tucker 2, Koerber, Greene, Brown, Matthai. Assists: M- Michel 3, Glaser 2, Daly, Valis; G- Doyle 4, DeSmit, Senft, Koerber. Saves: M-Falcone 10; G-Murray 9

Half: G: 6-4

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.