No. 6 St. Mary's stuns No. 1 Boys' Latin in double overtime

Saints' Lewnes scores game winner with 1:16 remaining

  • St. Mary's Connor Cerniglia gets tangled up with Boys' Latin's Trevor Kiddy while the Saints' John Kluh converges on the play.
St. Mary's Connor Cerniglia gets tangled up with Boys'… (Photo by Steve Ruark / Special…)
April 01, 2011|By Todd Karpovich, Special to The Baltimore Sun

With 1:07 left in the first overtime, Wells Stanwick of top-ranked Boys' Latin had an open look just a few feet from the goal, but St. Mary's goalie Skyler Morse lunged to make a game-saving stop.

It was just one of several big plays in the Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association of Maryland A conference matchup. The No. 6 Saints continued their early season surge as Nate Lewnes got the winner with 1:16 left in the second overtime for a 13-12 victory in Annapolis.

"That save was just incredible," Lewnes said. "That play just pumped up our team. This is a really big win for us."

Stanwick had four goals and two assists for the Lakers (4-2 overall, 1-1 MIAA). Lewnes scored five goals and Michael Bonnaci had four for St. Mary's (7-0, 3-0).

"It was an awesome game," Stanwick said. "We came out strong and St. Mary's just kept firing back. It was a shootout."

Logan Connolly carried the ball behind the goal with 5:32 remaining in regulation before whipping a pass to Bonacci, who fired it into the net to give the Saints their first lead of the second half at 12-11. Stanwick tied the game with 1:31 left.

Morse made another diving stop with 30 seconds left on a shot by Colin Heacock to send the game into overtime. After both teams went scoreless in the first overtime, Morse made the big save to set up Lewnes' goal.

The Lakers took their first lead, 7-6, with 1:09 left in the first half when freshman Shack Stanwick made a deft pass to his senior brother, Wells, who fired the ball low into the goal. After Bonacci tied it for the Saints, Wells Stanwick, Greg Pyke and Andrew Dempsey each scored in a 1:35 span to give the Lakers a 10-7 lead with 4:22 left in the third.

Goals by Pat Manley and Bonacci cut the margin to 11-10, heading into the fourth quarter. Lewnes tied it with a low shot with 10:36 remaining. Bonacci then gave the Saints the lead with 5:32 left.

St. Mary's scored six goals on its first nine shots to open an early lead. Pat Manley and Spencer Coyle scored 65 seconds apart to open the game for St. Mary's. The Lakers scored the next three on goals by Trevor Kiddy, Taylor Stothoff and Wells Stanwick.

Goals: BL--W. Stanwick 4, Chase 2, Stothoff 2, Dempsey, Kiddy, Pyke, S. Stanwick; SM--Lewnes 5, Bonacci 4, Manley 2, Connolly, Kluh. Assists: BL--Chase1, Heacock, S. Stanwick, W. Stanwick, Stothoff; SM--Manley 3, Bonacci 2, Connolly 2, Fox, Graham, Kluh.. Saves: BL--Davey 17 ; SM--Morse 17. Half. B: 7-6.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.