Loyola rallies past Mount, 14-10

Towson loses

March 26, 2011|By From Sun Staff Reports

Senior Matt Langan scored two goals and had three assists, all in the second half, as Loyola rallied from a 4-2 halftime deficit to defeat host Mount St. Mary's, 14-10, in nonconference action Saturday afternoon.

The Greyhounds (4-3) scored four goals in the first 5:27 of the second half, including two by Patrick Fanshaw, to go up 6-4.

Mount St. Mary's (3-4) eventually tied the game at 9 on a man-up goal by Bryant Schmidt with 10:30 left in regulation, but Loyola scored five of the game's last six goals to secure the win.

Loyola outshot the Mountaineers 35-27, and the Greyhounds put 24 of those shots on goal. The Greyhounds also held a 31-26 advantage in ground balls, 11-2 in the fourth quarter.

Long-stick midfielder Scott Ratliff scored a career-high three points with a goal and two assists.

No. 13 Delaware 8, Towson 7: Led by two goals each from Pat Britton and Tim Stratton, the visiting Tigers (2-5, 0-1 Colonial Athletic Association) took a 5-0 lead in the first 11 minutes but were unable to hold off the Blue Hens (6-3, 2-0).

Delaware had a four-goal run of its own to end the first quarter and trim the deficit to 5-4. Grant Kaleikau (Watkins Mill) had a goal and an assist during the run for the Blue Hens.

Junior attackman Eric Smith (Boys' Latin) scored the game-winner with 4:29 left. Smith, who had two goals in the game, took a pass from junior defenseman Taylor Burns (Severn) and scored past senior goalkeeper Travis Love (Winters Mill) to give Delaware the win.

Colgate 5, Navy 4: The Midshipmen (4-5, 2-3 Patriot League) got the game's first two goals, but the Raiders (6-3, 2-0) came back to take a 3-2 halftime lead on their way to snapping Navy's three-game winning streak.

Navy jumped out to a 2-0 lead with back-to-back goals within a minute by Kevin Doyle (Gilman) and Nikk Davis (Dulaney).

After bombarding Colgate keeper Jared Madison with 11 shots over the final 2:19 of the game, the Mids finally were able to get within one. But the 8-yard unassisted goal by junior attackman Taylor Reynolds came too late for Navy, as he scored with just two seconds left in the game.

UMBC 9, Quinnipiac 7: Scott Jones and Scott Hopmann (St. Mary's) each had two goals as the Retrievers (2-4) overcame a 5-3 halftime deficit to defeat the visiting Bobcats (2-4) and halt a four-game losing streak.

Neill Lewnes, Jamie Kimbles, Dave Brown, Tim Shaeffer and Greg Korvin had a goal each for UMBC.

Brian McCullough made 13 saves for the Retrievers after missing the previous two games with a broken thumb.

No. 1 Syracuse 5, No. 17 Villanova 4: The Wildcats (7-2, 0-1 Big East) tied the game at 4 with 57 seconds to play only to see the visiting Orange (7-0, 2-0) regain the lead for good when JoJo Marasco scored his second goal of the game with 6.3 seconds left.

Jovan Miller had given Syracuse a 4-3 lead with 10:25 to go on an unassisted goal that broke a scoring drought of over 25 minutes for both teams.

Villanova then tied the game with just under a minute to play when Kevin Cunningham scored on a pass from Brian Karalunas.

No. 4 Army 7, Lafayette 6: Senior goalkeeper Tom Palesky made six of his 11 saves in the final quarter, and junior midfielder Devin Lynch netted the game-winning goal with two minutes to play, leading the Black Knights (7-2, 2-0 Patriot) to a victory over the visiting Leopards (2-6, 0-3).

Army edged Lafayette by one goal for the third straight meeting. The Black Knights won for the ninth time in a row at Michie Stadium dating to the 2010 season and extended their winning streak to six games.

No. 5 Duke 14, Georgetown 12: Freshman Jordan Wolf had a career-high seven points on four goals and three assists, and the Blue Devils (7-2) outscored the visiting Hoyas (3-4) by six goals in the second half to post a come-from-behind victory.

Trailing by as many as five in the first half, Duke took its first lead of the game at the 7:40 mark of the fourth quarter with a goal from senior Zach Howell. The Blue Devils held Georgetown scoreless for 22:49 over the course of the third and fourth quarters as they mounted the comeback. Duke scored five consecutive goals during the Hoyas' scoreless stretch.

Duke extended its winning streak to six games with the victory and remains unbeaten at home this season. Christian Walsh and Josh Offit each chipped in three goals for the Blue Devils.

Hoya sophomore Davey Emala led Georgetown with four goals, including three in the first half.

No. 8 Cornell 13, Penn 12, OT: The Quakers (4-3, 1-1 Ivy League) mounted a furious second-half comeback, but Roy Lang scored off a feed from David Lau in overtime to secure the victory for the host Big Red (6-2, 2-0).

Penn was down 4-1 after the first period and 7-2 at halftime, but outscored Cornell 6-3 in the third quarter and 4-2 in the fourth to force extra time. However, Cornell won the faceoff to start overtime, and Lang broke to the goal and received a clean feed from Lau to end the contest.

The second half was particularly wild, as the teams combined for 16 goals on 20 shots on goal, and 15 goals were scored before either goalie made a save.

Al Kohart had a game-high four goals for the Quakers. Will Amling added three goals, and Corey Winkoff had a goal and three assists.

For Cornell, Lang and Steve Mock scored three times each, while Rob Pannell had four points on two goals and two assists.

Fiore each had seven saves.

No. 10 Hofstra 11, Drexel 6: Ian Braddish had a team-high three points on a goal and two assists and John Antoniades won 15 of 21 faceoffs to lead the Pride (7-1, 1-1 CAA) to victory over the visiting Dragons (5-4, 1-1).

Seniors Jamie Lincoln and Jay Card, sophomore Aaron Jones and freshman Torin Varn each scored twice for Hofstra.

Junior goalie Andrew Gvozden made six saves to post his seventh win of the year.

Drexel was led by Robert Church, who posted two goals and three assists, while Scott Perri and Brendan Glynn each recorded a goal and an assist.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.