Saving President Reagan

Two Baltimore surgeons talk about treating former President Ronald Reagan on the 30th anniversary of his shooting

March 26, 2011|By Meredith Cohn, The Baltimore Sun

En route to the emergency room at George Washington University Hospital, Dr. Paul Colombani noticed a black limousine emblazoned with the presidential seal in the driveway.

He told fellow surgical resident Dr. David Gens to look, but the significance didn't immediately register as they headed toward the waiting trauma patients.

In Colombani's bay was James Brady, Ronald Reagan's press secretary, shot in the head. In Gens' bay was the 40th president of the United States, shot in the chest just two months on the job.

Brady's death was erroneously reported in the hours after the shooting at the Washington Hilton, but the public was reassured that Reagan's injuries were not so severe. In reality, Reagan was bleeding to death and it would take some skill, and luck, to save the man — and his historic presidency.

But doctors were treating him like any other patient on March 30, 1981, almost 30 years ago.

"When you take their clothes off, they're all the same," said Gens, now an associate professor of surgery at the University of Maryland School of Medicine and an attending physician at Maryland Shock Trauma. "They're just people."

Gens and Colombani, now chief of pediatric surgery at Johns Hopkins Children's Center, were 31 and 29, respectively, at the time and in the fifth year of their surgical residencies, the first jobs outside medical school. They were part of a team that worked on Reagan, Brady and Tim McCarthy, a Secret Service agent who threw himself in the line of fire.

The pair said they don't regularly think about the shooting and told their full story publicly for the first time in a newly published book called "Rawhide Down" — Rawhide was Reagan's Secret Service name. The two men met recently in Colombani's office, one of about a half-dozen times they'd seen each other since they left George Washington at the end of that year for the hospitals in Baltimore.

Over the years, many other dignitaries have crossed their paths, from senators to Arab princes, and all got the same care as everyone else. "If you start making exceptions for VIPs, you start making mistakes," Colombani said. But some things were definitely different about the 12 days they treated Reagan, when snipers crouched on the hospital roof, when items ranging from salt to saline were considered potential poisons, and when a 70-year-old president nearly died on their watch.

Reagan had just given a speech when John Hinckley Jr., in a misguided attempt to impress actress Jodie Foster, got off six shots from his revolver before he was subdued.

Jerry Parr, the agent in charge of Reagan's security detail, immediately pushed the president into his car. Reagan was shaken and had blood on his lips, and Parr, unaware of the gunshot wound, worried he'd cracked a rib. The source of the attack wasn't completely clear to Parr, but he decided to forgo the security of the White House for medical care at George Washington, according to the book, written by Del Quentin Wilber, a Washington Post reporter who formerly worrked for The Baltimore Sun.

A half-hour after the shooting, Gens and Colombani were in the emergency room, Reagan's suit had been cut off and doctors could see the bullet hole. Reagan, likely in shock, said he was having trouble breathing.

"When someone says he can't breathe after being shot, he's in trouble," said Gens. Then, he and Colombani both concluded, "If they had taken him to the White House, he would have died."

The bullet, officials now believe, had hit the limousine, flattened like a dime and ricocheted into Reagan. The .22-caliber shell had been fired by a small revolver and had just enough strength to penetrate and partially shred Reagan's left lung. The doctors now say if it had been fired by a higher-powered rifle or was a larger bullet, it could have traveled farther and done more damage or even killed Reagan on the spot.

As it was, the bullet hit a vessel, causing internal bleeding. On a more stable patient, doctors would have ordered X-rays to look for fluid, but the troubled breathing was a telltale sign that blood was filling Reagan's lung — and fast.

He was pumped full of fluids and blood in an effort to boost his blood pressure. It was part of a detailed and highly choreographed protocol developed at George Washington by Dr. Joe Giordano, head of the trauma teams, who had spent time a few years before in Baltimore at Shock Trauma, then one of the nation's limited number of sophisticated trauma hospitals. There are now some 470 trauma hospitals in the nation, which Gens and Colombani say are preventing many more deaths.

"I learned there weren't a lot of real trauma centers in the '60s and '70s, but GW decided to ramp up its care, and by 1981 Reagan was benefiting," said Wilber. "It was one of the key decisions that saved Reagan that day. Parr's gutsy decision to take him there was another."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.