Man convicted in double murder

Jury convicts another in robbery

man sentenced in killing

March 14, 2011|By Baltimore Sun Staff

A 26-year-old convicted by a jury on Friday of killing two 17-year-olds in a Baltimore park in 2008 is to be sentenced in May and could receive two consecutive life terms in prison, according to the city state's attorney's office.

Timothy Crockett had been released from a federal penitentiary in Illinois, where he was serving time for a gun charge, two weeks before he shot Darrius Harrison and Djuan Anderson in Easterwood Park in June three years ago.

Witnesses told police at the time that they heard Crockett and an accomplice "plan and arrange" the shootings and then retrieve a gun. Prosecutors said that both victims had been shot in the head in the 3 a.m. attack.

Prosecutors also announced Monday that a Baltimore Circuit Court jury convicted Donyea King, 21, of 800 block of North Chester St., last week for his part in a 2008 robbery that ended with a man dead near Lake Clifton Park in Northeast Baltimore.

The incident occurred June 24, 2008, when 41-year-old Phillip Gaddy got out of a car on Abbotston Street near Harford Road and went to a corner store. The store was closed, and as he walked back to his car, police said, three men approached him and one demanded his money at gunpoint.

"When Gaddy reached into his pockets, the gunman shot him in the chest," prosecutors said in a statement. Authorities said that Gaddy's companion identified King out of a photo lineup and that police found several handguns and ammunition at King's home.

King was convicted of armed robbery with a deadly weapon and use of a handgun in the commission of a felony, and faces up to 40 years in prison when he is sentenced May 2. A spokesman for the state's attorney's office said the two other accomplices, including one directly responsible for the shooting, have not been identified.

In a separate case last week, Baltimore Circuit Judge Stuart Berger sentenced Kevon P. Jefferson to life plus 20 years in prison for fatally shooting Antwon Witherspoon on July 13, 2009, during an argument. The shooting occurred about 3:15 p.m. in the 2900 block of The Alameda.

A jury convicted Jefferson of murder in January.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.