No. 8 Maryland men hold on to beat Towson, 8-4

March 12, 2011|By Rich Scherr, Special to The Baltimore Sun

Eighth-ranked Maryland spent much of Saturday writing the latest chapter of its largely one-sided rivalry with Towson. Seemingly in command, however, the Terrapins had to survive an unexpected dose of second-half intrigue before closing the book on an 8-4 win.

Up 6-2, the Terrapins went scoreless for the next 31 minutes, 55 seconds, clinging to a slim lead until late goals by senior Ryan Young and junior Drew Snider sealed the victory before an announced 2,894 at Towson's Johnny Unitas Stadium.

"It certainly wasn't a work of art, but … it doesn't always have to be pretty," Maryland first-year coach John Tillman said. "We're happy to get out of here with a win. We found a way to score enough goals."

`Maryland (4-1) improved to 28-5 all-time against the Tigers, including 14-0 at Towson.

Towson, meanwhile, now has started 1-3 for four straight seasons, finishing under .500 each of the past three. The Tigers outshot the Terrapins, 38-21, but failed to score on all six of its extra-man opportunities.

Poor luck, as well, hurt Tony Seaman's squad, helping thwart its third-quarter comeback attempt.

After Towson had trimmed the lead to three, the Tigers' Carl Iacona and Matt Hughes hit pipes on consecutive shots. Then with the quarter winding down, Hughes picked up a ground ball behind the goal, ran around and shot into what appeared to be an empty net.

With goalie Nick Amato out of position, however, midfielder Brian Farrell (Boys' Latin) stepped in and blocked the shot with his body, turning back yet another chance.

"We dominated the whole second half with shots, with time of possession," Seaman said. "We just didn't put the ball in the goal. We had some wonderful opportunities. … I'm not sure who had more saves — the pipes or Maryland."

The Terrapins looked dominant early.

Senior Travis Reed (Boys' Latin) scored back-to-back goals late in the first quarter to help Maryland build a 6-2 lead, but he left the game with an apparent shoulder injury on a hard check by Warren Kalkstein (Loyola) 2:36 into the second half.

Towson, which had failed to score for a span of 19:13 earlier in the game, jumped on the opportunity, pulling to within two on consecutive goals by Matt Lamon (St. Mary's) and Pat Britton.

But that's as close as the Tigers would get.

Young beat goalie Travis Love (Winters Mill) low and scored off a fast-break with 3:45 to play, and then Snider's solo effort clinched it with 1:34 left.

"We knew if we just focused on getting one stop at a time and giving our offense some chances, any time they get a chance they're pretty dangerous," Amato said.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.