New York fugitive captured in Arundel

Ex-convict wanted in killing of wife in Manhattan salon

  • Michael Kenny was being held on a fugitive warrant in Anne Arundel County Saturday after being arrested on a fugitive warrant in the slaying of his estranged wife in a Manhattan hair salon.
Michael Kenny was being held on a fugitive warrant in Anne Arundel… (Handout photo )
March 12, 2011|By Michael Dresser, The Baltimore Sun

A New York man was being held Saturday in Anne Arundel County after he was arrested on a fugitive warrant in the killing of his estranged wife in a Manhattan hair salon.

Michael Kenny, 42, of Brooklyn was captured Friday night by Anne Arundel County officers after a low-speed chase that ended in the 700 block of Mattawa Court in Millersville, said Lt. James Fredericks, a police spokesman.

Kenny, described by the New York Daily News as a "crazy-eyed ex-con" who was the target of a nationwide manhunt, was wanted in the stabbing death of Denise Kenny of Queens in a Midtown salon Thursday. According to the Daily News, authorities believe Kenny killed his 41-year-old wife in a bathroom above the salon after she turned down his pleas to get back together.

Fredericks said county officers were told by New York police that they had learned Kenny was on his way to meet family members in the Millersville area, traveling in a stolen box van. The spokesman said officers went to the residence and devised a plan to safeguard family members.

All day Friday, police said, detectives and uniformed officers patrolled the Millersville area looking for Kenny, hoping to capture him before he could reach the family's neighborhood.

About 7 p.m., a detective conducting surveillance in the area of the Millersville home spotted the white van in a parking lot nearby, county police said.

According to police, the suspect led officers on what Fredericks described as a "low-speed chase," which never got above 50 mph, on local roads. When Kenny refused to pull over, officers used "stop sticks" to puncture two of the van's tires near the spot where he was first seen.

After coming to a stop on Mattawa Court, Kenny refused to get out of the van and officers used a beanbag shot from a shotgun to subdue him, Fredericks said. Though he did not appear to be injured, the suspect was taken to Baltimore-Washington Medical Center for treatment.

According to court records, the 6-foot-1, 230-pound Kenny was being held on a fugitive warrant at the Anne Arundel County Detention Center. A court appearance for an extradition hearing had not been scheduled.

Fredericks said the county state's attorney's office had yet to decide whether Kenny, described by the Daily News as having a 22-year criminal record, would face Maryland charges.

According to the Daily News, the killing took place after Denise Kenny gave her husband a haircut. The newspaper described a scene in which the killer tracked blood through the salon as he fled.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.