Parkville woman, 55, dies from injuries suffered in house fire

Improperly discarded smoking materials caused blaze, investigators say

March 09, 2011|By Nick Madigan, The Baltimore Sun

A 55-year-old woman has died from injuries suffered Sunday in a house fire in Parkville. Authorities identified her as Suzanne Hoff.

The blaze on the 8600 block of Oak Road was sparked by "improperly discarded smoking materials," the leading cause of fire deaths in the United States, according to a statement from the Baltimore County Fire Department.

Firefighters from Parkville's Engine 10 company went to the scene after the fire was reported at 8:30 p.m., and arrived to find heavy smoke emanating from the house. They took about 20 minutes to extinguish the blaze, the statement said.

Hoff was in the basement when the fire began, investigators said. She managed to get out of the house, and fire and medical crews found her on the lawn when they arrived. They treated her at the scene and then took her to St. Joseph Medical Center. Hoff died Wednesday.

nick.madigan@baltsun.com

    Baltimore Sun Articles
    |
    |
    |
    Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.