Easton man indicted on child pornography charges

Man, 69, charged with production and possession of illicit materials

March 04, 2011|By Nick Madigan, The Baltimore Sun

A federal grand jury has indicted a 69-year-old Easton man on charges of production and possession of child pornography.

The indictment was returned against Paul Henry Brown last month. In an appearance before a federal judge on March 2, Brown was ordered held pending trial and state charges were dismissed.

In a statement released by his office, Rod J. Rosenstein, the U.S. attorney for Maryland, said Brown was alleged to have sexually exploited minors to produce pornography. The two-count indictment says that beginning in 2009, Brown coerced two young girls to "engage in sexually explicit conduct" that he photographed, and that he videotaped a girl having sexual intercourse with "an adult male," although it was unclear from the indictment whether that man is the defendant.

Investigators obtained the images from video files and flash memory cards in Brown's possession, the indictment says.

If convicted, Brown faces a minimum of 15 years and a maximum of 30 years in prison for production of child pornography, and a maximum of 10 years in prison for possession of child pornography, followed by up to lifetime of supervised release.

"Sexually exploiting children is a crime that has traumatic effects on the most vulnerable members of our society," said Frank McGarvey, the agent in charge of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's Homeland Security Investigations unit in Ocean City.

The case against Brown was brought as part of Project Safe Childhood, a nationwide initiative launched in May 2006 by the Department of Justice to combat the sexual exploitation and abuse of children.

Nick.madigan@baltsun.com

    Baltimore Sun Articles
    |
    |
    |
    Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.