Acid spill at CCBC Essex lab sends one person to hospital

Injuries not considered life-threatening

March 01, 2011|By Jessica Anderson, The Baltimore Sun

One person was taken to the hospital after a gallon of sulfuric acid spilled Tuesday at the Essex campus of the Community College of Baltimore County, officials said.

Firefighters were called after the acid was spilled in a lab at the school, located off Ridge Road, spokeswoman Elise Armacost said. The unidentified person was being treated after having spilled the acid. "There are no indications that it was serious or life-threatening," Armacost said.

The person showered at the school and was taken to Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, Armacost said. Fire crews cleaned up the spill, she said.

Maryland Department of the Environment crews were also called to the school to help clean up the gallon of acid, a spokeswoman said.

jkanderson@baltsun.com

    Baltimore Sun Articles
    |
    |
    |
    Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.