Randy Shannon turns down Terps defensive coordinator job

Former Miami coach would have lost $1.5 million in buyout money if he took the Maryland position

February 15, 2011|By Jeff Barker, The Baltimore Sun

Former University of Miami coach Randy Shannon has declined an offer to become Maryland's defensive coordinator, according to a source with knowledge of the talks.

Shannon had been offered the job last week, and had returned to his home and talked with representatives of his old school.

When he got back in touch with Maryland, he told the school that he stood to lose about $1.5 million in Miami buyout money if he signed on with Maryland, the source said.

Miami signed Shannon to a new four-year contract on May 12, 2010. When he was dismissed after a 7-5 regular season, the Associated Press reported that he was expected to receive a buyout of about $1.5 million.

Shannon did not return a call seeking comment Tuesday. A Miami source said the buyout agreement Shannon signed contained a provision under which he would relinquish money if he took another football job.

Miami did not confirm the $1.5 million figure. The source declined to discuss any of the specific figures in the buyout.

Miami opens the 2011 season against Maryland on Labor Day.

The hiring of Shannon, 44, a top recruiter, would have completed the staff of Maryland coach Randy Edsall, who was hired last month. 

Maryland must replace former defensive coordinator Don Brown, who had been a holdover from former Maryland coach Ralph Friedgen's tenure. Brown left unexpectedly for the same position at Connecticut, saying he wanted to be closer to his family in New England.

 jeff.barker@baltsun.com

twitter.com/sunjeffbarker

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.