Two dead, three hospitalized in carbon monoxide poisoning

December 28, 2010|By a Baltimore Sun reporter

Two people are dead and three more have been sickened in a carbon monoxide poisoning incident at a Baltimore apartment building, according to Baltimore City police.

A call came in around 11 a.m. for "multiple sick cases" at a building in the 1700 block of Guilford Avenue, police said.

Chief Kevin Cartwright, a city fire department spokesman, said that two people were pronounced dead on the scene and three victims, including a child, were taken to Maryland Shock Trauma Center for treatment.

Fire officials said that there was no immediate confirmation that all the injured were related. The victims were found on the second and third floors of a rowhouse, which is divided into three apartments.

A neighbor said that one of the victim's friend's stopped by at 7:30 this morning and knocked on the door to the second-floor apartment. When there was no answer, the woman left. The bodies were found less than four hours later.

Baltimore police have taken over the investigation and homicide detectives were at the scene. Authorities said this is routine in a death investigation to make sure all questions and standards are adhered to in case the cause of the deaths is different than what is now believed.

Officials said they did not yet know the source of the carbon monoxide.

In Maryland, there have been 86 accidental deaths from carbon monoxide poisoning from 2001 through October, including 13 this year, according to statistics from state health officials. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that nationally, 500 people are accidentally killed annually by carbon monoxide and 15,000 are sent to the emergency room.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.