Two-alarm fire in Annapolis damages family's home

Christmas day fire causes $200,000 in damage

December 25, 2010

An Annapolis family's home was damaged Christmas day by a two-alarm fire, fire officials said, but all six family members made it out of the home unharmed.

Fire units were called out to a single-family home on the 3300 block of Harness Creek Road around 2:13 a.m. and found fire shooting out of the home's roof, said Steve Thompson, a battalion chief with the Anne Arundel county fire department. The fire reached a second alarm and was brought under control at around 3:23 a.m., Thompson said.

A neighbor who declined to give her name said the family is now staying at her home, a few houses down the same block. The home is located along waterfront property near Quiet Waters Park.

"It was a chimney fire, and probably to the most beautiful home in Annapolis," the neighbor said. "We are all just devastated in this community."

The home suffered $200,000 in damage and a preliminary investigation indicates the fire was accidental, Thompson said. Working smoke detectors inside the home alerted the family in time to escape uninjured, he said.

Another neighbor who also declined to give her name said she believes the home belongs to Douglas Finnegan.

"Mostly it's the roof, it's the roof that was fully engaged and is missing now," the neighbor said. "They're at the house now with the restoration people trying to figure out what to do."

No firefighters were injured while fighting the blaze, but three firefighters were taken to the hospital for additional evaluation because their vital signs did not return to normal immediately, Thompson said.

jtorbati@baltsun.com

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.