Watchdog gives thanks for long-awaited happy endings

Sign in place on Pennington Avenue; Lauraville alley repaired, cleared

  • A reader says that the "Do Not Enter" sign on the center island where Pennington Avenue changes from two-way to one-way keeps getting knocked down. There is a sign on the sidewalk to the left.
A reader says that the "Do Not Enter" sign on the center… (Kim Hairston, Baltimore…)
November 27, 2010|By Liz F. Kay, The Baltimore Sun

This weekend, Watchdog is giving thanks for some closure on previously unresolved issues.

Update: More drivers are watching out when driving north on Pennington Avenue, thanks to new "wrong way" signs at each corner, reports Joseph Taylor.

"I haven't been seeing a lot of cars coming up," he said.

Taylor's Curtis Bay business is on Pennington Avenue, just north of its intersection with Birch Street, where it becomes a one-way, southbound road. He contacted Watchdog because "do not enter" signs kept getting knocked down at that intersection, and northbound drivers unfamiliar with the area would sometimes continue into oncoming traffic.

Now, there's also a sign on two poles in the small island that directs southbound traffic in Pennington's left lanes onto Birch, he said.

Taylor wasn't sure if "wrong way" was the best language — wondering if drivers might respond better to "do not enter" — but he is certain that the additional signage has made a difference.

"It's few and far between coming up now," he said. "I'm sure it's saved some lives."

Update: The people off Goodwood Road in Lauraville can access their alley again.

In October, Watchdog featured the unrepaired storm drain and sewer in the 2600 block of Goodwood. The sewer was repaired in May, but city public works crews noted a broken storm drain. They covered the open hole with metal plates that remained for months, until Watchdog called.

Watchdog learned that there had been a long backlog of repairs, but after the problem was published in early October, crews began work — at 2 a.m., said resident Anna Brown. "It kept the babies and young families up," she said. However, after a few nights, it did get fixed.

But the jersey wall that prevented vehicles from accessing the alley, and the construction site, remained as a souvenir of the long ordeal. On Nov. 4, Brown called and was promised it would be gone in three days. She called Nov. 10 and was again assured it would disappear in three days.

Someone moved the barrier so it ran parallel to the alley, allowing smaller vehicles to get by without scraping if they moved carefully. "They considered the job done," Brown said. "When I called back Nov. 17, they said it was closed," she said.

By Monday, Watchdog contacted public works again, and the barrier finally was gone.

Brown was pleased but found the process laborious.

"It makes that area look neglected when there's construction debris," she said. "It's sending a signal that nobody really cares about this place."

Need Help?

Is there something in your neighborhood that's not getting fixed? Tell us where the problem is and how long it's been there by e-mailing or calling 410-332-6735.

    Baltimore Sun Articles
    Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.