Brief but fierce, storm tears through

Weather officials working to confirm possible tornado; thousands without power and homes

November 17, 2010|By Jean Marbella, Liz F. Kay, Julie Scharper and Nick Madigan, The Baltimore Sun

They sat on benches at the makeshift shelter, still slightly dazed and pensively chewing pizza handed out by relief workers. If they didn't have the evidence on their smart phones, tiny pictures showing roofless apartment buildings, downed trees and crushed cars, it might have seemed like a middle-of-the-night dream.

The storm that cut through Northeast Baltimore and Parkville early Wednesday morning was as brief as it was violent. With wind gusting perhaps as high as 80 miles per hour, the storm was over seemingly in a flash but left behind a swath of destruction and upended lives.

"I was watching TV, and you could hear the wind picking up," Sherry Campbell, 39, said of the storm that left nearly 250 residents such as her temporarily homeless. "It sounded like a Mack truck. Everything started vibrating and everything went black. Then all of a sudden, it went quiet." Campbell, who is studying to be a medical assistant, was evacuated from her apartment at the Mount Pleasant Heights complex, which, along with neighboring Dutch Village, took the brunt of the storm. Sixteen buildings, with a total of 54 rental units, were condemned and 359 units sustained damage. County officials said 92 homes in the Parkville area were damaged, three severely.

The storm struck around 1:30 a.m., and the National Weather Service is investigating whether a tornado touched down. It is expected to make the determination Thursday. While the storm knocked out power to more than 45,000 households, uprooted trees, tossed cars and outdoor furniture, and shattered windows, just three people, including one child, suffered minor injuries, officials said.

"It's an absolute miracle that we're not here talking about serious injury and death," said Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, who with Gov. Martin O'Malley and other city and state officials toured the two rental communities. "Whole sections of the apartment complex were lifted off and blown away. I saw two-by-fours piercing the sides of buildings like spears."

Rawlings-Blake declared a local state of emergency in the affected area, imposing a curfew from 5 p.m. Wednesday to 7 a.m. Thursday. No one other than authorized personnel was allowed in the area bounded by Northern Parkway to the north, Pioneer Drive to the west, Pinewood Avenue to the south, and Mclean Boulevard to the east.

Anthony Guglielmi, chief spokesman for the Baltimore Police Department, said the curfew was issued mainly for the safety of residents and the protection of their property. Debris was hanging from trees, the power is out "and it is extremely dark," he said.

"People have a lot of property in their homes, and we want to make sure we secure that," Guglielmi said. "They've gone through enough trauma as it is."

He said police received reports of people trespassing through houses, but none of any thefts.

As displaced city residents headed off to spend the night in hotels, with friends or relatives, or at a public school building, it was unclear when they would be allowed to return to their homes. With utility workers and building inspectors working through the night, city officials said they planned to make a determination on Thursday when it was safe for residents to return. By Wednesday night, BGE was reporting 590 customers without power, nearly all in Baltimore.

Many displaced residents spent the day at the Mount Pleasant Ice Arena, where city and state officials provided food and assistance for those evacuated. A shelter for displaced Baltimore County residents was established at the Bykota Senior Center in Towson but closed late Wednesday morning after only a handful of residents stopped in.

Reginald Scriber, a deputy housing commissioner in Baltimore, said the city was working quickly to transfer the vouchers of residents who had subsidized housing in the apartment complexes to other areas. The managers of the complexes were trying to move residents of the condemned buildings into vacant units, he said. The city established a disaster relief fund and was directing contributions to the account at Harbor Bank of Maryland.

Gwendolyn White-McMillan, 51, and her extended family left the ice rink to spend the night at a Comfort Inn, the townhouse she rented at Dutch Village having been condemned. She had been watching television when she heard a rumbling noise on her patio, followed by what sounded like an explosion.

"My husband said, 'Our door is out, our whole door is out,'" she said. Her husband, Marvin McMillan, pried the door out of the frame and they ran out to "devastation all around," she said. A ceiling fell on one neighbor, who was taken to the hospital; debris was scattered everywhere.

"Cars were on top of each other. My huge glass patio table, six chairs, an umbrella — they're all gone," said White-McMillan, who thinks the "explosion" she heard was the table shattering.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.