Seven hospitalized with carbon monoxide poisoning

Several Elkridge residents evacuated Main Street home

October 24, 2010|By Raven L. Hill, The Baltimore Sun

Seven Elkridge residents were in stable condition Sunday after being hospitalized with carbon monoxide poisoning.

Several of the residents had already evacuated the home in the 5800 block of Main St. by the time Howard County and Baltimore County rescue units arrived just before midnight Saturday, officials said.

Officials said that five of the seven residents had high levels of carbon monoxide in their systems and that all seven were taken to the University of Maryland Medical Center.

Officials praised the fact that the home had a working carbon monoxide detector.

"As in this case, a working carbon monoxide detector can mean the difference between life and death," Howard County Fire Chief William F. Goddard III said.

Heating and cooking equipment that burn fuel can be sources of carbon monoxide.

raven.hill@baltsun.com

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.