Escaped attempted murder suspect seen Saturday near NE Baltimore

Suspect in stabbing wriggles free of plastic handcuffs, runs from Central District building

September 11, 2010|By Justin Fenton, The Baltimore Sun

Baltimore authorities were searching for a man who was arrested for attempted murder but escaped from a downtown police building after wriggling free of his plastic handcuffs.

Police said Paul Bryan Palmer, 32, was taken into custody on a warrant charging him with attacking a man last month near City Hall. About 1 p.m. Friday, Palmer was to be transported to Central Booking and Intake Center when he complained of a hand injury and was taken back into the lobby of the department's Central District building on Baltimore Street, police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said.

Palmer was able to get free of the plastic handcuffs and ran off, Guglielmi said. Police searched for him for about an hour and are now asking for the public's help.

Palmer was described as white, bald, about 5 feet 10 inches tall and weighing 185 pounds. He was last seen in the area of Belair Road and Interstate 695 around 8 a.m. Saturday, police said, wearing a black baseball cap, a sleeveless white, "muscle" t-shirt, blue jeans and brown work boots.

Police said Palmer may be traveling with a female companion. They are believed to be driving a silver 2008 Kia Spectra with a Maryland tag of 1EWB10. The vehicle is using a" donut," spare tire as one of its wheels as one of the spare tires.

Angela Johnese, juvenile justice director for Advocates for Children and Youth, said that about 1:15 p.m., she saw police cars "coming and going in all directions around Gay, Lombard, Pratt and South." Officers on foot were posted on several corners and walking in and out of parking garages.

"Makes for an interesting Friday afternoon at the Inner Harbor," Johnese said in an e-mail.

Guglielmi said Palmer has been charged in connection with an Aug. 31 incident in the 200 block of Davis St. in which a man was attacked and stabbed seven times.

According to Guglielmi, the victim had just gotten out of jail and went to his girlfriend's house, where he discovered she was living with another man — Palmer. The men got into an argument and police were called to the home, defusing the situation.

Later, the victim was getting off a bus and walking toward a homeless shelter when he was jumped by Palmer and two men. He was knocked to the ground and punched, then stabbed seven times, Guglielmi said.

Anyone with information about Palmer's whereabouts is asked to call 911.

>> Most recent updates

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.