Wall Street reform wouldn't just help create a more stable economy, it would actually improve the lives of everyday American families. I believe that there are five big benefits of Wall Street reform bill which everyone should know of:
1) Reform forces credit card and mortgage companies to play by the rules. No more hidden fees or pages of fine print.
2) Families who are hoping to buy a home or pay for college are put on a level playing field with lenders. Reform ensures they'll get the information they need presented clearly and concisely so they can make good decisions. The same goes for small businesses and community banks that play fair and deserve to see their businesses grow.
3) The legislation cracks down on predatory lenders looking to mislead people into taking on irresponsible debt.
4) Wall Street reform establishes an independent agency — the Consumer Financial Protection Agency — whose sole job is to protect consumers and enforce the new consumer financial protections, which would be the strongest ever enacted.
5) Finally, American taxpayers will never again be asked to bail out the big banks that are "too big to fail." I want to be absolutely clear about this, no matter what critics in Congress say.
Afsaneh Ziaee, Gaithersburg