Howard County police announced Monday that a weekend prostitution sting netted 10 arrests in Laurel, an area that has been plagued by prostitution and human sex trafficking.
In a "reverse sting," female officers wearing plain clothes worked in areas where residents had complained about prostitution and waited to see if they would be approached and offered money for sex. According to police, 10 men were arrested and charged with solicitation.
Those arrested Friday are:
• Dennekew H. Chebala, 62, of Washington, D.C.
• Oscar Iraheta-Garcia, 30, of Lanham
• Jose Astul Mejia-Portillo, 40, of Beltsville
• Johnny Edward Peery, 54, of Laurel
• Rene Alberto Pozo, 37, of Mount Ranier
• Jose Reyes, 28, of Silver Spring
• Frank Payton Rodgers, 42, of Laurel
• Alkexis Yovani Romero-Sarmiento, 36, of Catonsville
• Angel A. Scherrer, 37, of New Carrollton
• Raymond Hiroshi Vollmer, 46, of Highland
Police said that a total of 27 men have been arrested this year during two such stings.
Residents are encouraged to call police 410-313-STOP with tips or information about the problem. Callers may remain anonymous, police said.