Police probe rash of shootings in city, four of them fatal

At least four dead in spate of shootings over Memorial Day weekend

May 31, 2010|By Nick Madigan, The Baltimore Sun

Baltimore police detectives were busy Sunday investigating six separate shooting incidents over the weekend, four of them fatal.

The first man to die in the rash of shootings was Ronald Anderson, 30, who was pronounced dead shortly before 2 a.m. Saturday at Harbor Hospital, less than an hour after police responded to a report of gunshots in the 4100 block of Pennington Ave. in the Curtis Bay area and found him wounded. Anderson's home address was undetermined.

Davon Dorsey, 18, for whom no address was available, was pronounced dead at 4:25 a.m. Saturday at Johns Hopkins Hospital, three hours after an incident in the 400 block of N. Rose St. in East Baltimore. Police found him on the sidewalk with bullet wounds to the head.

Shortly before 2 a.m. Saturday, Ronald Anderson, 30, was pronounced dead at Harbor Hospital, less than an hour after police had responded to a report of gunshots in the 4100 block of Pennington Ave., in the Brooklyn area, and found him wounded. Anderson's home address could not be found.

On Sunday evening, an adult man died hours after he was shot multiple times in a house in the 2100 block of Ramsay Street, in Southwest Baltimore. The man, whom police did not identify, was pronounced dead at Maryland Shock Trauma Center. Police were following several leads in the homicide, Silbert said.

A few hours later and just a few blocks away, police said two adult males were shot in the first block of South Pulaski St. The incident occurred shortly at 10 p.m., giving one neighborhood, Carrollton Ridge, three shootings in a span of a few hours. It is the same neighborhood where 5-year-old Raven Wyatt was shot July 2009. Her killer has been convicted but defense attorneys are seeking a new trial.

There was no identification available for a 22-year-old man who was shot in the head in the 2600 block of E. Monument St., according to Detective Jeremy Silbert, the police spokesman. The man succumbed to his injuries shortly after 5 p.m. Saturday, about 16 hours after being shot.

There were likewise no names available for the victims in three other shootings. In one, on Saturday about 3 p.m., shots were reported in the 5900 block of Glen Falls Ave. in Northeast Baltimore. Officers found a man was shot in the back. His injuries were determined not to be life-threatening.

Just after midnight on Sunday, a man was struck in the buttocks by gunfire in the 2600 block of Mosher St. in West Baltimore. His injuries were deemed nonfatal, Silbert said.

No arrests had been made by Sunday afternoon in any of the shootings.


Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.