Chesapeake comes up one run short in 4A baseball title game

Cougars drop 2-1 game to Sherwood at Ripken Stadium

  • Sherwood pitcher William Bouey, center, celebrates with teammates after recording the final out of the Class 4A championship.
Sherwood pitcher William Bouey, center, celebrates with teammates… (Steve Ruark / Photo for The…)
May 28, 2010|By Mike Frainie, Special to The Baltimore Sun

For Michael Marsh and the Chesapeake Cougars, the 2010 baseball season has been a chance to exceed expectations. Unfortunately for the Cougars, they fell one expectation short Friday night at Ripken Stadium in Aberdeen.

Sherwood's pitching staff of Jamie Dejter and William Bouey held Chesapeake of Anne Arundel County to three hits and struck out 10 batters (Dejter six, Bouey four) en route to a 2-1 victory in the Class 4A state championship game.

The victory is the second state title for the Montgomery County school, which also won the title in 2008.

"No one expected us to be here," said Chesapeake manager Jim Simms. "They worked towards this all year, and in the end we came up one run short."

The loss overshadowed a stellar effort by Marsh, Chesapeake's senior pitcher. He struck out four and gave up four hits in the loss.

After Sherwood had taken a 1-0 lead in the top of the first, the Cougars tied the game in the fourth. Marsh led off with a double to left center field, and scored two batters later when an Andrew Mildenberger single plated him.

Both pitchers controlled the game, but Marsh began to tire in the sixth. He gave up a walk to outfielder Anthony Papio, who promptly stole second. Marsh looked like he would get out of trouble when Papio got picked off leaning off of second base to empty the bases for the second out, but the Warriors still rallied. Drew Knapp doubled to left center, and scored two batters later when a Brad Bolen single plated him for a 2-1 lead.

"I missed my spot, plain and simple," Marsh said. "There's nothing I can do about it now."

Simms removed Marsh, replacing him with Jason Seitler, who retired Sherwood's Mike Sarecky for the final out.

"He'd started me off the previous two times with fastballs," said Bolen of Marsh. "I waited for it, and when he threw it I jumped all over it."

In the bottom of the sixth, the Warriors brought in Bouey. The junior, who struck out 13 and no-hit Eleanor Roosevelt in the state semifinals, faced one batter over the minimum and struck out the side in the seventh, only allowing a walk to Seitler along the way.

"Yeah, I probably should have taken [Marsh] out one batter earlier, but he'd gotten [Bolen] out twice before, and I wanted to bring in Seitler fresh for the seventh," Simms said. "I thought we were good to go there, but it just didn't happen."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.