Huguely's mother speaks out about Love's death

Marta Murphy said Huguely's family is 'devastated and confused'

May 12, 2010|By Jessica Anderson, The Baltimore Sun

The mother of the lacrosse player charged in the death of his former girlfriend at the University of Virginia broke her silence Tuesday, saying in a statement that 22-year-old Yeardley Love was "part of our lives" and describing her as a "sweet, wonderful young woman with a limitless future."

Marta Murphy, mother of 22-year-old George Huguely, e-mailed a statement to the news media Tuesday.

"It has been difficult to remain silent during this dark, tumultuous time," she wrote. "Along with my family, I am devastated and confused. We are all trying to understand and cope as best we can."

Love was discovered by her roommates May 3 in her off-campus apartment, lying in bed, bruised, with a pool of blood on her pillow. Murphy's son, who once had a romantic relationship with Love, told police that he had an altercation with her and "shook Love and her head repeatedly hit the wall."

Huguely of Chevy Chase has been charged with first-degree murder in Love's death.

Love was a senior lacrosse player at the University of Virginia and a graduate of Notre Dame Preparatory School for Girls in Towson.

"I got to know her as George's mom," Murphy wrote of Love. "We also know her mother, Sharon. The pain she and her family are suffering is something that no family should ever have to endure. No parent should have to bury a child and not a moment goes by when they are not in our thoughts and our prayers."

Love's family has made no public comments.

Notre Dame Prep players and coaches declined to comment Tuesday when the team won its first championship game of the season against Severn School. Both teams wore orange ribbons in Love's memory. Orange and blue are the colors for the University of Virginia.

Notre Dame Prep players also had the number "1" written in black on their calves. That was Love's number both at the University of Virginia and at Notre Dame Prep.

Funeral services for Love were held Saturday at the Cathedral of Mary Our Queen in North Baltimore with more than 2,000 people in attendance.

Love and Huguely were expected to graduate this month.

"As a mother, I never expected to be in a situation like this," Murphy said in the statement. "Though my pain is great, it will never come close to the anguish felt by the Love family."

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.