Tying goal is waved off for Navy

Mids fall to Army, 7-6

April 20, 2010|By Mike Preston, The Baltimore Sun

Junior attackman Jeremy Boltus scored on a 10-foot shot from the right of the goal with 4 minutes, 29 seconds remaining in the game to lift Army past Navy, 7-6, before an estimated 20,000 at M&T Bank Stadium.

After Boltus' goal, Army (6-5 overall, 4-0 Patriot League) was able to hold on after a barrage of Navy shots in the remaining time, including a controversial one by Navy midfielder Nikk Davis that appeared to tie the score at 7-7 with 37 seconds remaining.

The goal, though, was disallowed because of an Army penalty that apparently happened before the goal was scored.

Boltus led all scorers with three goals, and teammate and attackman Garrett Thul had two goals. Davis led Navy (5-7, 4-2) with two goals, but it will be the one that was nullified that will be talked about for quite some time.

Davis had taken the ball 15 yards to the right of the goal and blew by Army midfielder Matt Hurley. As Davis approached the crease, he went airborne and was shoved in the back by Hurley. Instant replays clearly showed that Davis had scored before he crashed into the goal and landed in the crease.

In most similar situations, the goal is allowed and the penalty is wiped out. This time, the goal was canceled, and Navy couldn't score in the remaining time even though the Mids had a man advantage.

"I don't have an explanation, I didn't get an explanation," Navy coach Richie Meade said. "I don't have the benefit of instant replay. It may be the only time in the history of lacrosse that a guy goes underneath, gets a flag, scores and it doesn't count."

When asked why he didn't get an explanation, Meade said he didn't have time to argue the call and had to prepare his extra-man offense. Obviously, though, Meade was agitated.

"Losing to Army is very, very disappointing," Meade said. "All I know is that I'm in this room dealing with a bunch of kids. We lost to Army, so it doesn't matter what the explanation is."

The game started to turn in the second quarter, because that's when Army outscored Navy 4-1 in the first 10 minutes of that period and eventually built a 5-3 halftime lead. Navy led 2-1 at the end of the first period, but Army scored on a shot from Tyler Seymour with 13:22 remaining to tie the score at 2-2.

From then on, Army controlled the tempo and the rest of the half. Army attackman Tyler Oates, on an assist from Thul, scored on a 16-yard shot from straight on with 11:41 remaining.

Boltus scored an extra-man goal with 5:26 remaining in the half, and Thul scored on an over-the-shoulder shot with 4:35 left as Army went into halftime with a 5-3 lead.

The game was fairly even throughout the half, except Army had a better shot selection and the Black Knights were better finishers.

"I thought we played hard. We gave up some soft goals in the second quarter," Meade said, "and that kind of put us behind the eight ball. We didn't pick a good game not to get our shots on goals. I think our lack of shot accuracy hurt us."


Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.