Baltimore club where 3 were shot ordered to sell liquor license

Uzo's owner does not protest charges

April 09, 2010|By Brent Jones |

The city liquor board on Thursday ordered the owner of a Northeast Baltimore club where a triple shooting occurred last month to sell his liquor license, a ruling that drew cheers from about a dozen residents.

Vincent Arosemena has agreed to turn over the license of Club Uzo, in the 4800 block of Belair Road, to Regal Bank and Trust. He also was fined $2,500 for a variety of violations, including the March 18 shooting that shook the Gardenville neighborhood, along with a series of fights in November inside and outside the bar.

Arosemena had agreed to sign over the license to the bank before the hearing and did not protest any of the charges. The bank is expected to take over the license on Tuesday and resell it to another proprietor in the coming months.

The club also was fined for allowing after-hours drinking in December and January, remaining open after 2 a.m. on at least two other occasions and violating crowd-control laws.

"There has got to be some consequences," liquor board Chairman Stephan Fogleman said.

Police began padlock proceedings for Club Uzo after the shooting, citing multiple incidents of violence. The club is just a few blocks from Club 410, which was padlocked by city police last year and whose manager was indicted on federal charges that she was part of a gang conspiracy.

Club Uzo, according to several Gardenville residents who testified at the hearing, has seen violent incidents since last year, and they fear more of the same if the property is allowed to remain a bar operating under a different name and owner. They asked bank representatives to sell the license to someone who would turn the place into an upscale restaurant that sells alcohol.

At about 12:30 a.m on March 18, an officer on patrol heard gunshots coming from the club. He and other officers went inside and found a 20-year-old man who had been shot once in the leg. A second victim, a 30-year-old man, was found on Belair Road, just outside the bar's front entrance, also suffering from a gunshot to the leg.

The third victim, 23, managed to get out of the bar on his own and was taken by a friend to Johns Hopkins Hospital. Police said he had been shot twice in the legs.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.