ANNAPOLIS — A celebration for freshmen members of the Maryland state legislature was evacuated about 11:15 p.m. Thursday when the Annapolis bar in which it was held caught fire.
Gov. Martin O'Malley and House Speaker Michael E. Busch were among at least 50 lawmakers who rushed out of the smoky building.
Four firetrucks arrived at the bar, O'Brien's, on Main Street in Annapolis. It did not appear that anyone was injured.
The fumes from the blaze were apparent on the second floor of the bar. The governor's security noticed the smell and quickly escorted O'Malley to his black SUV.