Ask amy Amy Dickinson

April 01, 2010|By Tribune Media Services

DEAR AMY: I work for a partner at a very distinguished company.

He has been conducting an affair with a "client" for more than three years now. He has been married for well over 20 years.

He, however, is using company funds to wine and dine his mistress and is asking me to submit these expenses for reimbursement.

My conundrum is that if I report him, I will lose my job; he is very connected. If I don't, then I feel I am cheating the company.

I have asked to be transferred, but no other positions are available.

Do you have any advice for me? - Trapped Assistant

DEAR TRAPPED: This is an ethical issue. You have to do the right thing, even if doing so means you'll have to brush up your resume.

Your boss' infidelity is none of your business. However, he is asking you to participate in cheating the company by ordering you to file expenses you believe to be fraudulent. This is your business.

You should speak with the person you report these expenses to - noting that you have concerns and questions about the expenses you've been asked to file.

This person should take up this issue, investigate the expenses and decide what action to take.

There is a real possibility that these expenses are valid. If so, the financial officer will ease your mind.

Document your concerns and keep copies of relevant records.

You should also seek counsel with an employment lawyer. Your company cannot dismiss you for questioning expenses, and if they do, you should have legal recourse.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.