State Senate passes driver cell phone measure

Ban on hand-held use passes by slim margin

bill heads to House

March 25, 2010|By Michael Dresser | michael.dresser@baltsun.com

The Maryland Senate passed by the narrowest of possible margins Wednesday a ban on the use of hand-held cell phones while driving - sending the bill to the House for what could be final action.

The long-proposed bill squeaked by on a 24-23 vote, overcoming an impassioned plea by Republican Sen. E.J. Pipkin that rejecting the ban would be a matter of "liberty."

Two Republicans, Sen. Bryan W. Simonaire of Anne Arundel County and Sen. Larry Haines of Carroll County, joined 22 Democrats in supporting the bill. Twelve Republicans and 11 Democrats voted nay.

The bill would bar the use of hand-held cell phones behind the wheel in most circumstances, but would allow drivers to talk using a headset.

Any violation would be a "secondary offense" - preventing a law enforcement officer from pulling over a motorist unless some other infraction was observed. The fine would be $40 under the Senate version of the bill, but the House measure carries a $100 fine.

Pipkin quoted his daughter, saying the measure seemed like something out of George Orwell's novel "1984."

"I think we'll be giving up something with this law we won't be able to get back," the Upper Shore senator said.

Sen. Norman R. Stone Jr., a Baltimore County Democrat who is that chamber's longest-serving member, defended the measure as a matter of common sense. Stone, the measure's sponsor, christened the measure "The Del. John Arnick Electronic Communications Traffic Safety Act of 2010" in honor of his late legislative colleague, who sponsored the first cell phone bill a decade ago.

"Delegate Arnick was way before his time. He recognized the problem with cell phone use long before anyone else," Stone said after the vote.

Stone said he hopes the House will simply adopt the Senate bill, which would send the measure to the governor. Noting the razor-thin margin in the Senate, he said any disagreement over details would only give opponents another chance to derail the bill.

"You can never tell what'll come out of a conference committee, and that conference committee [report] has to be adopted by the floor," he said.

Backers of the measure got a late scare when Simonaire sponsored a motion to reconsider passage, but that measure was rejected 19-28 after President Thomas V. Mike Miller informed senators that the bill had already been sent to the House.

Simonaire said he stands by his support of the bill but offered the motion as a courtesy to fellow senators who wanted to continue the debate. He said that after opposing the measure in past years, he had been swayed by the testimony of family members of distracted-driving victims.

"When liberty starts impacting safety, I think that's where we have to draw the line," he said.

In other actions in Annapolis:

•The Senate gave preliminary approval Wednesday to a bill that would require installation of ignition interlock devices - which prevent an engine from being turned on if the driver has been drinking - on vehicles owned by convicted drunk drivers. A floor vote is expected within days.

•The House of Delegates approved a bill that would create a blue-ribbon commission on transportation funding. A version of the bill has already passed the Senate with slight differences. If those can be resolved, the bill would go to Gov. Martin O'Malley for his signature.

•A House of Delegates panel rejected a Senate move to divert about $57 million a year in sales tax revenue from transportation to the general fund starting in the 2014 budget year. That matter is likely to be resolved in a House-Senate budget conference.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.