Sister M. Kathleen Martin, pastoral associate

March 08, 2010|By Frederick N. Rasmussen

Sister M. Kathleen Martin, a member of the Mission Helpers of the Sacred Heart who was a pastoral associate, died March 1 from complications of a stroke at The Villa, the assisted-living facility her order shares with the Sisters of Mercy in the Woodbrook section of Baltimore County.

She was 87.

Kathleen Martin was born and raised in Cumberland. She was a graduate of Catholic Girls' Central High School and entered the Mission Helpers of the Sacred Heart.

She professed her vows in 1949, and took the religious name of Sister Ignatia of the Precious Blood, and reverted to her baptismal name in 1968.

Sister Kathleen earned a degree in psychology in 1970 from Loyola University and a master's degree in religious education in 1977 from Seattle University.

For many years, she was a missionary parish visitor and catechist at parishes in the South, Southwest and Mid-Atlantic. When she was assigned to Detroit, she worked in the deaf community.

During the 1970s and 1980s, she served as director of religious education in Colorado and Florida. From 1983 to 2001, she was pastoral associate at St. Mark Roman Catholic Church in Catonsville.

After retiring in 2001, Sister Kathleen was a volunteer and Eucharistic minister at Oak Crest Village retirement community in Parkville until her recent illness.

Sister Kathleen donated her body to the Maryland Anatomy Board.

A memorial Mass will be offered at 11 a.m. April 10 at the Mission Helper Center, 1001 W. Joppa Road, Towson.

She is survived by several nieces and nephews.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.